Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Been thinking hard about posting this, but decided to do so in the hope of helpful advice and encouragement.

I am mid 40's and a smoker, have been smoking since about 15 years old, so - 30 years of fags.

I have never been able to give up, probably because i enjoy a smoke, but, i need to put some of my bad habits and old ways behind me. I dont drink, thats not to say never ever, but all over the xmas period ive had 1 glass of cider and 1 jack daniels (a double) so thats never been a problem, its just the fags. The mrs doesn't smoke and cant stand it, and i am now beginning to feel my age a bit, i have realised i am no longer a 30 something that can get away with it.

2011 saw me get back into cycling after about 5 years away (used to have a mtb) and has shown me that whilst i am fitter than some, i am nowhere near what i would like to be.

So, Dec 31st 2011, 11.50 pm was my (hopefully) last cigarette.

I woke at 7.30 this morning and immediately wanted a smoke, all i could think of was smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke - over and over and over. I got up and reached for the mouth squiter nicorette thing ive bought, bloody hell its vile, and doesn't seem to be doing a lot apart from making me dribble.

That said its now 12.41 and i have still not had one. going out for a walk in a min to try and take my mind off things.

I will hopfully quit this time.

For those who have never smoked, you simply do not understand, for those ex smokers, any advice, however small will be gratefully recieved.

I will keep this thread updated.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I used the 4mg gum which worked for me - the thing is that everyone is different and you might have to try a few different products (the patches were useless for me).

good luck and keep reminding yourself how much you are saving.

longers

Legendary Member
Good luck, the cravings do pass, they might keep coming back but they are temporary and with any luck over in ten or fifteen minutes at most and then hopefully occur less and less as time goes by.

Keep thinking of the money you're saving too.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A bout of flu stopped me smoking for five days as I didn't have the strength to get out of bed to go downstairs to get a cigarette. The flue symptoms masked the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine. Seven days into no smoking I lit a cigarette to bid a final farewell to smoking, got a third of the way through the cigarette and realised that I was re-entering the tabernacle of nicotine enslavement and put it out and crunched up the packet containing the remaining cigarettes. The accompanying nicotine rush was so disabling and nauseous that I was unable to drive or walk unaided for a few minutes. I've not had a cigarette since.

There's no need to make a fuss about packing in, it's just a matter of resolve. You will find the next few days hard. just make sure that you don't share the same space as cigarettes or cigarette smoke. Acknowledge that cravings can't harm you and get on with the rest of your nicotine free life.

I stopped about a decade ago but can't name the date.

Roscoe

Veteran
Good luck with this, I'm planning on stopping this week, not set a day yet.

Tried a few times and it's tough but needs done. Really starting to feel it as I hit my mid 40's. Been right into cycling for the last 2 years so it's time I did my body a favour.

Mr Phoebus

The flue symptoms

I bet you smoked like a chimney.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Been give up for getting on 15 years now

I smoked from 15 to 35 years old so 20 years of it

I always wanted to own my neighbours Audi 90 which was stunning looking and had all the extras.

One night around 7.00pm he knocked on my door and told me he was selling and i could have first refusal

I couldnt afford it unless I gave up smoking

Next day went to the bank,got a loan,bought the car and had my last fag..... EVER

Took a bit of will power but I had to do it or I'd be more than skint.

It's a matter of breaking routine,each time you want a fag dont sit there thinking about it,do something,anything,hoover up,mow the lawn,clean the gutters etc etc

Stick at it and enjoy a smoke free life :thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
I used the patches to help me quit.

What I found though was interesting - most all of the "habit" is in your mind. I was getting the nicotine from the patches but still felt almost disabled by the panic and anguish to have a cigarette. When I did it was a complete non-event (well, because I was already getting the nicotine!! DOH!).

Years later I was still getting "pings" to have a cigarette in those situations that don't come up all that often, such as visiting someone in hospital - as soon as I got outside I got a ciggie-ping. Mad.

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I gave up New Years eve 3 years ago after smoking for 30 years. I sat and played online games on the laptop and just kept saying "I'll have one more game then go for a cig. " For the first few days I would take the dog for a walk at night and light a cigarette put it in my mouth then throw it in the bin. After the first few days just tell yourself "I'm not going through that again".
Each craving lasts about three minutes, the trick is to learn how to ride it out.
The financial cost hit me in Tesco last night. Guy on front of me asked for 20 Marlboro lights and 20 Silk Cut. £14.72 !!!

Good luck, you can do it.

Top Bottom