Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I managed to give them up years ago. Patches worked for me in the first few weeks, but then I though to hell with this I'm not saving anything as I'm buying patches, so I kicked them into touch too.
I've had a couple of minor relapses over the years, but they've only served to strengthen my resolve really.
One day at a time etc, etc, you CAN do it and you WILL do it, well done on making the break :highfive:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I stopped smoking 4 years ago this month, smoked between 20 & 30 a day for 33 years, I used patches and the fake ciggy inhaler and it took me 6 months gradually going down the patch range.

I can now cycle for many many miles without my lungs trying to escape out of my body and looking at the price they are now :eek: my bank account is also much better off.

So good luck you can do it :thumbsup:

Noodley

I gave up a few years ago, decided that I was gonna give up and did. Smoked the remaining cigarettes in the packet the night before the day I had decided was going to be the day I became an ex-smoker. Woke up the next day and have not even thought about having a cigarette since. As others have said it is mostly in your head, and in my head I had decided I was an ex-smoker. So I was.

I am also the king of as small country I made up.

The last sentence may be a lie.

When I was growing up I remember my mum with a constant lit cigarette on her lips. She didnt even use hands to pull a puff she just kept the cigarette on the lips from the moment it was lit to the moment it was finished. I despised that sight and started smoking just to blackmail her that I would only stop if she did. She did (within a few days) but then started again so realized she was a lost cause, as a consequence I despise cigarettes and the smell of it is enough to give a migraine (of which I suffer) and would never ever put a cigarette to my mouth. I do appreciate that it is an addition and that is very hard to quit :sad:

phil_hg_uk

When I was growing up I remember my mum with a constant lit cigarette on her lips. She didnt even use hands to pull a puff she just kept the cigarette on the lips from the moment it was lit to the moment it was finished. I despised that sight and started smoking just to blackmail her that I would only stop if she did. She did (within a few days) but then started again so realized she was a lost cause, as a consequence I despise cigarettes and the smell of it is enough to give a migraine (of which I suffer) and would never ever put a cigarette to my mouth.

Its odd when I was smoking I never even thought about the smell because you become immune to it, but now I dont smoke I can smell someone smoking from several yards away and if I go to someones house who smokes xx(

Its odd when I was smoking I never even thought about the smell because you become immune to it, but now I dont smoke I can smell someone smoking from several yards away and if I go to someones house who smokes xx(
I completely agree with xx( for the stale smell of smoke on someones clothes/house/car etc, but I have to admit that the smell of a freshly lit cigarette still does funny things too me :wacko:
(the difference nowadays is that I don't do anything about it :angel: )

phil_hg_uk

I completely agree with xx( for the stale smell of smoke on someones clothes/house/car etc, but I have to admit that the smell of a freshly lit cigarette still does funny things too me :wacko:
(the difference nowadays is that I don't do anything about it :angel: )

Oh yes I still get the odd urge for a ciggy it only lasts a few micro seconds but it is still there when someone lights up near me.

I think been an ex-smoker is like been an alcoholic it is always still there in your brain somewhere, it is the cost, smell and the fact that it will kill you, and it spoils my cycling, that stops me from doing it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
January 11th will be my 5th anniversary since packing in the fags. Money (or a lack thereof) forced me into quitting and I did it gradually. In the November, I cut down from 20+ to 10 a day, then on New Year's Day I cut down to 5 a day and then spread my last 5 cigarettes over three days - 2 on one day, 2 the next and then the day after that, got ready to smoke my last ever fag. I felt so sick smoking it that I stubbed it out half way through and haven't wanted one since. Can't bear the smell now xx(

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
I gave up a few years ago, decided that I was gonna give up and did. Smoked the remaining cigarettes in the packet the night before the day I had decided was going to be the day I became an ex-smoker. Woke up the next day and have not even thought about having a cigarette since. As others have said it is mostly in your head, and in my head I had decided I was an ex-smoker. So I was.

Very close to my experience. It's hard; sometimes very hard, but the results are so worth it.

All the best.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Just got back from a walk down the beach, the urge to light up after i got back was strong so i had a squirt of the spray and got a bout of hiccups which i find amusing.

Thanks you all for your replys, i read through the threads and its given me another kick up the backside in so much as i can do and i shouldn't be so bloody weak.

The point about being a non smoker - i think thats a great idea.

Ive tried the patches (last year) and the inhaler things (year before) but i think the squirt thing maybe helping a bit.

Cycled up a hill yesterday on the mtb and was overtaken by a couple in the late 50's/early 60's that put me to shame.

And if any smokers are reading this, give it up with me, we can suffer together, and reap the rewards together. I AM NOT GOING TO SMOKE ANOTHER CIGARETTE.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

The no fuss way is the way to go. Once my mind was made up and the cigarettes crushed, like Noodley, the transformation to an ex-smoker was instant. There's no need to log progress or keep a diary other than circle the day that you stopped and resolve not to have another circle signifying that you've started. There's no half measures, having a drag on your mates' cigs, is still smoking.

It's now no longer possible to step outside a pub to get a breathe of fresh air when feeling a bit whoozy. Ironic innit?

It’s easy to give up, I have done it loads of times. The last time was over 25 years ago.

On a serious note,

My brother in law has terminal cancer caused by smoking; he was in a hospice but decided he wanted to spend his last Christmas at home. Every time the phone rings we brace ourselves for bad news.

One of the best laws passed in this country was to ban smoking in enclosed public spaces!

Top Bottom