If you can make a cycle frame from flax, could you make one from hemp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Several years ago, I read an article in Cycling Plus about a road cycle frame made mostly from flax with a bit of carbon fibre. I believe it was a Museeuw frame.

Now I see Schwinn have made a cycle frame entirely out of flax.

I am currently reading a book about hemp. Its fibres are at least as strong as flax. It's pretty hard to tell them apart, although one way is to wet it. On drying, flax will twist clockwise and hemp will twist anticlockwise. If it is possible to make a bicycle frame out of flax, then surely it is possible to make one out of hemp.

(Hemp is such an incredibly useful plant, but is illegal to grow without a licence in the UK because people like smoking some forms of it. Hemp's other names are cannabis and marijuana. Marijuana is really the drug, while hemp is the name of the fibre as well as the plant, like cotton. According to the author, the plant was banned in the US because the US Tresury Secretary, Andrew Mellon was also a major financial backer of the DuPont petrochemical company. He perceived hemp as a threat to his business interests because it was a cheap source of cellulose from which plastics could be made. Another scumbag in the conspiracy was William Randolph Hearst, whose company used Du Pont's chemicals to make paper. He was was also a major logger. Paper from hemp is better quality than paper from wood pulp, and you can get four times as much per acre of land. Hearst owned a newspaper chain and ran loads of scare stories about Mexicans getting high on marijuana and going on violent rampages. Another of Mellon's allies was Harry J. Anslinger, who was appointed head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Anslinger collected any newspaper scare story he could find about marijuana, and when that wasn't enough, fabricated some more. Then they effectively got the drug banned by dressing it up as a revenue tax bill, so that it could be rubber stamped by other allies without it undergoing discussion in the full house. By the time hemp farmers were aware of what was going on it was too late to stop it. One reason why the hemp industry were slow to react was because they were not aware marijuana was hemp. Marijuana was a name picked out for the drug by Hearst, taken from a Mexican song. Industrial hemp had very low concentrations of THC, the chemical that makes you high. The way it was farmed entailed cutting it down while it was still green and laying it out on the ground for a few days to get wet, a process called retting. By the time it had retted, the leaves had fallen off, so there was no THC left. The book does not explain why hemp was banned in so many other countries, except that Anslinger was involved in drawing up the UN Single Convention Treaty on Narcotic Drugs in 1961.)

I have built prototype frames from flax and from hemp and from a 50-50 combination of the two, in association with the Incrops team from the UEA.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
schwinn-vestige.jpg

now that is a nice looking bike :thumbsup:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Planning on building a bamboo bike after xmas..may be using hemp and resin to hold it all together...although I would prefer carbon tow and resin as it looks better.

Several years ago, I read an article in Cycling Plus about a road cycle frame made mostly from flax with a bit of carbon fibre. I believe it was a Museeuw frame.

Now I see Schwinn have made a cycle frame entirely out of flax.

I am currently reading a book about hemp. Its fibres are at least as strong as flax. It's pretty hard to tell them apart, although one way is to wet it. On drying, flax will twist clockwise and hemp will twist anticlockwise. If it is possible to make a bicycle frame out of flax, then surely it is possible to make one out of hemp.

You could make one out of hemp but while hemp has the same specific stiffness as flax (stiffness to weight ratio) it has a much lower specific strength (strength to weight ratio). Of all the natural fibres, flax is the best one to use for a composite.

I'm wondering if the Schwinn tubing comes from these people?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You could make one out of hemp but while hemp has the same specific stiffness as flax (stiffness to weight ratio) it has a much lower specific strength (strength to weight ratio). Of all the natural fibres, flax is the best one to use for a composite.

I'm wondering if the Schwinn tubing comes from these people?

Where did you get your information?

It does look like flax fibre is slightly stronger to hemp fibre. The Youngs Modulus for flax fibre is 58GPa, while for hemp fibre it is 35GPa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus

Although another source says the Youngs Modulus is 18.4GPa for hemp filbre and 21.4GPa for flax. Tensile strength is slightly better for flax (512MPa) than for hemp (507MPa).

http://www.fidiaglobalservice.com/eng/tessuti_lino_canapa.html

I read another document that says hemp yarn has a tensile strength of 550 to 900MPa, but it does not give the figures for flax.

http://www.ijimt.org/papers/130-M534.pdf

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Most of the reports I've read seem to compare natural fibres against glass fibre in composites (such as fibreglass). I wonder how it compares against carbon fibre. You get cars and boats made of fibreglass, but I've never heard of a bicycle made of fibreglass.

fibre properties 2.PNG

The other part of the composite seems to be a plastic like polypropylene. I wonder if polypropylene could be made from hemp hurds, which is a rich source of cellulose.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Every time I try and find a report with some numbers that compares hemp fibre to flax, flax is stronger (sigh).

fibre properties 3.PNG

Spider silk is surprisingly strong, though a bit stretchy. It doesn't look like any natural fibre can compare to carbon fibre though. That really does look like the stuff. I suppose that is why the Museeuw decided to keep a proportion of carbon fibre in their frames: carbon fibre in the high stress areas and flax for the rest.

Top Bottom