If you could only have one bike .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Of my four, the one-if-I-had-to-get-rid-of-all-the-others would have to be the Trek. Comfier than the Squadra (and the Viner in certain conditions), nearly as quick, mudguards, disc brakes, fatter tyres, rack mount if I ever wanted it....
N-3? Over my dead body! :smile:
The Viner in particular isn't just a bike to me. The way DZ feels about his C50, I feel about my Italian carbon. My old Dahon Jetstream started me on the path to my current mileage, the Viner was a big step forward. It's fast yet supremely smooth, it feels special every time. Even if if/when I get something better (which would have to be full custom, AFAIK), which is not for the foreseable future, it'll be going nowhere. The Squadra doesn't have the same place in my heart, it couldn't, but it's still a great bike that's proved its worth numerous times. And as for Chutney- far too much fun to be just 'the folding bike'. Haven't actually folded it yet anyway :smile:

Trail Child

No. I refuse to have only one bike. Never.

2oldnslow

"Now, if they did one of those with horizontal drop outs......"

It doesn't need them as it has an eccentric bottom bracket. I've got 7 including a Peregrine and a lovely limited edition Bianchi Infinito guess which gets ridden most ^_^ Ohhh just realised that's what I'm riding in my Avatar pic.

assorted-imarges-255.jpg

assorted-imarges-257.jpg

I find this a very easy question to answer:

I would have a nice, light, steel road bike - Italian or English bespoke frame. I've never had such a thing (bespoke) but it would tickle me to own one.

Quill stem, Campagnolo gubbins, probably 53/39 up front and a tightish 8-speed on the back with good Ergo levers. Saddle would be the cheapo Selle Italia model that seems to have been built with my backside in mind. No other saddle quite works. Italian wheels, Campag brakes. No fancy paint job. This would do everything I needed and is the only bicycle I would need.

However, for those occasions when off-road riding was an option, I would keep a spare only bike. This would be a nice, alloy HT MTB, not unlike the Pace rc303 I currently use. It would not be a second bike; it would be a spare only bike. This is quite within the rules I have decided ought to apply in this matter.

I would also have a spare-spare only bike. This would be a steel road frame squidged to 120mm at the rear and fitted with a fixed-gear rear sprocket. Componennts would be Campagnolo and quite high up the range. Quil stem, of course. I might put home-cut bullhorns on it, but in most respects it would be very similar to my only bike at the top of the page.

As this is a question about which single bike you would own, I think it would be poor form to nominate a spare-spare-spare only bike.

But if I could, it would be a .......

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Tough.

The reasonable choice would be a touring bike, I could ride to work, to the shops, pull the trailer, go touring even.

But no more cyclocross, no zippy road rides. I could perhaps have just a 'cross bike, different wheels with road and 'cross tyres fitted, take the 'guards on and off as required. But I like to have a dynamo lighting setup installed on my everyday bike so I reckon the touring bike option would be it.

airbrake

It would have to be my Peugeot Energy 400 MTB. Although it's the heaviest of all my bikes it fits like a glove, and the miles just roll by without any fuss.

But, when you start to get 'competitive' it surprises by having the best geometry and handling (with slicks), best brakes, and gear operation. It is also the only bike I have where the wheels are perfectly in line...(or, maybe I should say they were in line before I was hit by a Volvo !) My Dynatech from Raleigh's Special products Division and my JF Wilson hand-made bike don't have perfectly aligned frame and fork.

Top Bottom