If you could only have one bike .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
The reason I asked was because I was curious about what people here enjoyed most about cycling, and I thought asking what you'd choose if you could only have one bike was the best way to find out.

My answer is that I like being able to go anywhere, which is why I chose my hardtail MTB over my cyclocross/road bike. The Surly is fantastic fun, and it can take me a lot of places relatively quickly. But the MTB can take me more places - like up rocky trails to the top of mountains - which is why I would choose it if I had to make the choice (although giving up the Surly would be like cutting off my arm).

hoopdriver

Guru
I've already got my always desired bike...my Dawes Galaxy. i always wanted one since 1988 when i saw one in Andersons bike shop Aberdeen (sadly shop has long gone). The price was always out of my reach until 2007 when i got made redundant and splashed out on a brand spanking new galaxy...i was made up :smile:
It's nice when you get the bike you always wanted

rb58

Enigma
If it was one binke only, it would be the Enigma. Beautiful to ride - quick and comfortable - but if you wanted to you could put 'guards and racks on it and go off round the world.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If it was one binke only, it would be the Enigma. Beautiful to ride - quick and comfortable - but if you wanted to you could put 'guards and racks on it and go off round the world.
but you'd have to stick, more-or-less, to tarmac....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i have only one bike... and I only want one bike really.

I did consider buying a Brompton a while back, but only because my bosses were threatening to make me lock my one and only bike out in the cold & rain for another winter.(she suffered a little last winter.. the poor thing)

thankfully they conceded and I am no longer tempted by the adulterous thought of having more than one bike.

monogamy is good for the soul, polygamy isn't.

so yes, one bike for me... and god do i love her :smile:

it's a fully rigid steel MTB in shiny silver... exactly* the bike I dreamed about as a nipper, long before the BMX or MTB was seen on these shores.

* it's actually sh!t loads better than the one i dreamed about, that didn't have indexed gears.

rb58

Enigma
but you'd have to stick, more-or-less, to tarmac....
Naturally! None of that dirty, smelly, off-roading nonsense round here (not on purpose anyway).

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I'm still loving my Merida CC3, great on forest trails, mud etc with my knobblies and just as good on the road with a set of 23's on, a real go anywhere bike, also has lugs for pannier racks.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Another Dawes here. If i had to give up my other bikes then the Dawes horizon would be the one I kept. It is capable on tarmac, forest trails and non-technical singletrack, can take anything from 23mm slicks to 40mm snow tyres and is comfy.

Then again my avatar shows the sort of riding I like :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
My "does everything" bike:

dsc00331gg.jpg

Stick some panniers on and it is good for touring (and the front fork CAN take a rack, as I have put it to the test!), take the rack and mudguards off - and put skinny tyres on - and it is not a bad road bike. And it can do some light off roading too.

Very nice.

Btw welcome back.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting all the votes for the Dawes. My secondhand Dawes Discovery was bought for a tenth of the price of my good bike but I really enjoy riding it. Feels solid and reliable and comfortable on the roads around here. Although I would miss the good bike if we happen to ever get a lovely long, dry and warm summer I doubt I would use it much in our wet, mucky winters so if only the one could be kept it would probably be the Dawes too.
I too have to say I am very fond of my old Dawes. Can't tell you what model it is or what tubing as it's been eroneously painted as a Rory O'Brien. Just great to ride.

Top Bottom