One bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, if you could only have one bike, to do everything with, for ever and always, for richer and for poorer.

what would it be?

(extra points for thinking outside the square)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Nothing unconventional here but I'd keep my tourer - it'll get me up hills, carry my shopping and stay comfortable. However, I do sometimes wonder when I notice how slowly it wants to go whether I should have gone for an audax type frame that was capable of light touring. It might have done all the above but more quickly.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Brompton. City use, taking on the train, even touring. May I have my lightweight trailer to use with it?
Same here.
My Brompton will carry loads, do distance, commutes, shopping, tow a trailer, stow in the back of the car, carry up stairs easily, goes in a train, tram, bus, taxi with no problems.
Ideal really.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
They are all good suggestions but none of them will fair well on a cross country ride?

For me, I'd opt for the Land rover of bikes, one that can do everything and anything in any weather and all conditions (with the correct tyre choices of course)

So I'd go for an MTB hard tail, on a triple with slicks perhaps for road riding and lugs for panniers, racks, guards etc. (if desired)

Bit like my old commuter really...now, I come to think of it.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
MTB for me

Norm

I had a hard tail as a do it all, until I got the CX-styled thing and realised what 'do it all' actually meant. :giggle:

I think most bikes can do most things, but I'm immensely grateful to have the opportunity to choose between the hard tail, roadie, CX and hack.

Night Train

Maker of Things
They are all good suggestions but none of them will fair well on a cross country ride?
My Brompton will, but an MTB wouldn't fold to fit in the boot of my car, nor would it have a high speed unless the gearing is changed.

I guess it would depend on what you mostly do with you bike that determines which is the better overall single bike.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I guess it would depend on what you mostly do with you bike that determines which is the better overall single bike.

nope, thats not in the rules, it has to do Everything.

My Brompton will, but an MTB wouldn't fold to fit in the boot of my car, nor would it have a high speed unless the gearing is changed.

Hmmm, good point, so maybe a folding MTB, sounds like we are getting there. Soon we shall have designed the perfect bike.

This time next year, we'll be millionaires!!

Top Bottom