If you had the money and inclination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
If I had money, inclination, space and time, maybe...

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
'Tis from 1905 though....

To be fair, I wasn't sure if it was expensive or not for it, I mean, there can't be many of them about these days (secretly I'd want it if I had the money).

I bet nobody would be able to come close to beating you on a Tweed Run anyway!

tyred

Legendary Member
I would sort it out mechanically so I could ride it but I would be reluctant to repaint it and lose what's left of the original finish. I would need to see it in the flesh to decide on that part.

I definitely wouldn't pay £750 for it.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
It's only original once: I'd do the minimum necessary to get it roadworthy and leave it at that. He seems genuine (his website is a wealth of information on early bikes), so I'd take his valuation at face value.

Fingers crossed I'll have a pre-Holdsworth Claud Butler by the end of the week. All though it's just about roadworthy it was hand painted about twenty years ago and that will be enough of a challenge for me.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Tyres seems firm, chainline is good, and it's got some nice red brake blocks. Price is a little steep, especially as it's no museum piece.

I'm not sure if I'd restore it or just take it down the local bmx park for a good thrashing and teach them young 'uns what a real bike can do.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes I have to agree, how would you restore it now without destroying its original finish? How could you go about removing the rust? I mean, it must be possible somehow?

P.S. I don't care what people say, I'd LOVE it, even in its current condition! Also, it doesn't matter that it's a woman's bike. Not now.

Paulmh

This is the good-old conservation v restoration debate. Personally I tend towards the latter camp, but there are such costs involved that I'd have to start with a lower purchase price and maybe more of a wreck.
Good luck.

tyred

Legendary Member
Diesel with a little engine oil added will preserve a bike like that in it's original state for many years.

Just don't ride it in your best suit.

Top Bottom