If you have a disabled car badge..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Can you park anywhere ?

Genuine question, went to the hospital visiting last night and they were everywhere; parked on pavements, double red lines, double yellow lines.
A lot of them looked like they were parked to avoid parking fees rather than proximity to the hospital.

Just curious...

upsidedown said:
parked on pavements, double red lines, double yellow lines. A lot of them looked like they were parked to avoid parking fees rather than proxomity to the hospital.

ironic when risking a fine!

User76 said:
She challenged it and was told that the free parking only applied to a disabled badge holder in a disabled bay.

as it should be.

Losidan

we have blue badge for my better half and no you cant park anywhere and have to pay as posted when not in a disabled bay.

Some people who have them clearly think it is just a licence to do what they want. No wonder they are reviewing who gets them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My SIL borrows her mother's car, which has a disabled badge. The lazy fat cow never walks anywhere so it's a double disgrace. The sooner she gets prosecuted the better.

ChrisKH

Guru
I had one for a while and no, you can't park anywhere. They're dishing them out left, right and centre now. My father in law has one, but plays golf. WTF? Admittedly he's down to 9 holes rather than 18 but that doesn't make him disabled and he certainly isn't restricted that much (in terms of distance) when walking. I deliberately gave mine back when I recovered to more/less full health after surgery. I could in theory re-apply but I'm fitter than many able-bodied people and it just isn't fair to those who do need one.

As you say, I think people see it as a means to avoid parking fees now.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The 1982 "Not the Nine O'Clock News" book had a 'disabled badge' with "I've got a spacehopper" written underneath. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think many folk use the permits to park as close to the supermarket door as they can, or just don't have a permit and park in disabled spaces.... The number of folk you see 'springing' out of cars and off into the supermarket from disabled spaces....grrrrr

Globalti

Legendary Member
User76 said:
Do we have the same SIL? Mine has just given in her job, to go on benefits:angry: Have a guess what her reason for leaving was, and why she needs sympathy and understanding...go on guess...go on..go on..you'll never get it, never.

I'll tell you what her f'ing excuse was...... she could not get over the upset of her Secret Santa present, and has apparantly developed anxiety and depression around what the other staff are thinking about her reaction to the...wait for it....wait for it.... 'Family Organiser/Calendar thing'. "Everyone knows I am a single parent, it was humiliating to get a present that included a space for a 'Dad'"

I jest you not. Now we are all paying her rent and council tax and not inconsiderable food bill:angry:

Yep... definitely the same SIL. Mine works for The Revenue and she hasn't worked a full week for the seven years I've known her, she is off every week on some pretext or other. The only reason I can think of that she hasn't been sacked is that all the IR staff are sitting around all day with their feet up while the computers do the work and the Gov't doesn't want to sack them after years of massaging the unemployment figures. Maybe that will change now.

fossyant said:
The number of folk you see 'springing' out of cars and off into the supermarket from disabled spaces....grrrrr

hmmm, too true. :sad:

when they have two working legs and two working arms, i'm thinking that if they have any other disability, should they be driving?

wafflycat

I was most annoyed to find out that when MrWC *needed* one (leg in plaster for over six months and being self-employed, still having to work) he couldn't get one, as his disability wasn't 'permanent' So despite him having severely restricted mobility for best part of a year (over six months in plaster and then lots of rehab) and he *needed* the facility of easier parking, he couldn't get it. Bah!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
wafflycat said:
I was most annoyed to find out that when MrWC *needed* one (leg in plaster for over six months and being self-employed, still having to work) he couldn't get one, as his disability wasn't 'permanent' So despite him having severely restricted mobility for best part of a year (over six months in plaster and then lots of rehab) and he *needed* the facility of easier parking, he couldn't get it. Bah!

Should have borrowed a child car seat and parked in "Parent and Child" parking..... like everyone else :sad:

Genuine folk always have difficulty in getting what they are entitled to...crazy system.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
fossyant said:
I think many folk use the permits to park as close to the supermarket door as they can, or just don't have a permit and park in disabled spaces.... The number of folk you see 'springing' out of cars and off into the supermarket from disabled spaces....grrrrr

Sometimes they are going to collect someone... my Dad used to use one for collecting our 95+ year old friend who had polio as a child. But eventually she was unable to get in and out of an ordinary car and is now completely housebound.

Top Bottom