If you think someone is stealing a bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
But what is the personal cost of making a call to the police? Why would you shy away from making a call. I stated quite clearly I don't expect anyone to challenge the suspect.
How can the police do more to prevent theft if you won't even call them to tell them it's happening?

But what is the personal cost of making a call to the police? Why would you shy away from making a call. I stated quite clearly I don't expect anyone to challenge the suspect.
How can the police do more to prevent theft if you won't even call them to tell them it's happening?

Oooh I dunno perhaps by being visisble in the first place, maybe patrolling around cycle lockups. Here's an idea - let them goto Brick Lane and challenge each and every seller to prove the bike is theirs to sell. How about Gumtree and Ebay do more to prevent stolen bicycles being fenced?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Oooh I dunno perhaps by being visisble in the first place, maybe patrolling around cycle lockups. Here's an idea - let them goto Brick Lane and challenge each and every seller to prove the bike is theirs to sell. How about Gumtree and Ebay do more to prevent stolen bicycles being fenced?

I absolutely agree that a lot more should be done about what has virtualy become authorised fencing outlets. I would advise anyone who has had a bike nicked to get down to their local "cash generator" or equivalent latter day pawn shop and misery merchants and have a look around. Much else of what you say makes sense too and I didn't intend to set up a situation whereby we all sit around and judge one anothers worthiness. It is my opinion that one does what one feels able to do and the thread was intended to discuss what things might be possible for someone to do. What people are prepared or able to do is going to vary from person to person and situation to situation and I wanted to just get a few ideas or personal experiences that might help out there so to speak.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Only half an answer then?

Here's an idea - let them goto Brick Lane and challenge each and every seller to prove the bike is theirs to sell. How about Gumtree and Ebay do more to prevent stolen bicycles being fenced?

And get the reply from the seller of 'Yes it's mine.' Burden of proof is on us to prove its stolen, not the seller to prove its genuine.

Gumtree and EBay are checked when bikes are reported stolen. When one is identified as a potential known and reported stolen bike, necessary steps are taken.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the visibility, but that would require more police, more money and in the current climate isn't going to happen - be it for bike theft, burglary or robbery. All the coppers are already tied up dealing with something else that's already been reported.

RedRider

Pulling through
I chased a bike thief once. I was cycling round a corner and saw him grab the unlocked bike and shoot away to shouts from the owner standing a few feet away.

It seemed easier to give chase than not but the harder thing was what to do once I caught up. He was obviously desperate for whatever the £5 he could sell it for could buy him.

I followed him for half a minute shouting I saw what he did and saying he'd better put it down and eff off. I got me phone out as if to call the police.

He gets off the bike and puts it down but instead of eff-ing off he runs straight at me. He's shouting this is Brixton, don't mess with Brixton! It was ridiculous. We were in Camberwell not Brixton.

So I jump off my bike and hold it between us like some matador's cape and we face off. He's started some half-arsed kung fu impressions and seems as likely to hurt himself as do me any damage.

That's when it goes wrong and I don't think it was a lucky kick either. I move to block with my bike but his fulll weight comes down, pringling my back wheel.

He finally effs off but does so on the stolen bike and I'm left to carry mine to the nearest bike shop which was Edwardes where I get no sympathy and pay full price for my lacklustre heroics. Should've gone the extra mile to BC.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm sure we could all sit around and think of scenarios where each method is "better" than the other. In the case you mention above, all you would need to say is that you suspect the person giving the information is doing it maliciously, and the police would investigate it. It would be obvious to them that the same person is providing the complaint. It doesn't matter whether you know it or not.

I prefer the fact that witness details are withheld as a general rule. It leads to less witness intimidation, and more likely to keep prosecution witnesses on board. There are plenty of instances where witnesses have been given pseudonyms, and been allowed to give evidence screened from the defendant in order to protect their identity.

Top Bottom