If you wanted free cardboard boxes for moving, where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm moving soon and I'm rapidly using my stock of old boxes, as the title says where would you go for free boxes?

I'm already using:
  • Frecycle
  • Morrisons (seems to be mostly šŸŒ boxes)
Cheers!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
banana boxes from a supermarket. Ask them in advance to save you some. we squash about 20 a day at my local Aldi.

Don't fill them with books though... you'll put yer back out :whistle:

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
banana boxes from a supermarket. Ask them in advance to save you some. we squash about 20 a day at my local Aldi.

Don't fill them with books though... you'll put yer back out :whistle:
I've already loaded some with books lol But it seems manageable, unlike the waist high box I filled last time with books that I couldn't move at all when I tried.....

I'll ask down my local Lidl after the bank holiday, hopefully they'll be nicešŸ˜Š

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'll ask down my local Lidl after the bank holiday, hopefully they'll be nicešŸ˜Š
I work at the rivals and we often save a stack of boxes for customers. It's only a pain when the customer doesn't come to collect them as warehouse space is limited, or if a colleague decides to make some space by putting the stack in the bailer before the customer comes to collect. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Banana boxes from your favourite local greengrocer. That's what we did anyway.
He shut years ago unfortunately, he was the favourite by default as the only GG in town.
I work at the rivals and we often save a stack of boxes for customers. It's only a pain when the customer doesn't come to collect them as warehouse space is limited, or if a colleague decides to make some space by putting the stack in the bailer before the customer comes to collect. :rolleyes:
I'll definitely ask them, the amount of booze groceries I've bought over the years they owe me lol

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'd go to our warehouse manager and ask him for some and whilst he is at it a roll of tape as well, no need for a packing gun, I've still got the last one I borrowed. Not that this will help you.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Go to your local recycling centre there will have been someone thatā€™s moved recently whos just dropped off loads of proper packing boxes, I know I have loads of them.
I could, but they are more of a deposit rather than withdrawal serice. Some recycling centres do have a shop attached to them to sell things and I just read that Kirklees is getting one soon in Huddersfield so something to look at for there at least.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ask neighbourgs to keep you their Amazon boxes, or raid the communal recycling bins if you have them.
I see plenty of moving boxes regularly advertised in the local free/swap facebook page.
You can also get them at work, ask cleaners, porters, facilities, whatever department gets deliveries in or disposes of waste.

Do you know anyone who works for NHS?
Most Wards/Departments, have a 'stores day' once a week, & get most items packed in large cardboard boxes
We just flatten ours, but staff are always asking for them

Many years ago, it all used to come in plastic 'crates' - with lids, on one house move, we borrowed (actually signed for!) about 50 of them
(plus with the lids on, they were stackable)

Top Bottom