If you were buying a new bike - Disc vs Rim brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Fat tyres ?
I have it with 28c tyres, but give them a whack on the top and they drop down easily enough.

You could argue the reverse with putting disc brake wheels back in as occasionally I don't get the rotor in place first time and have to try again

Drago

Legendary Member
Let’s agree Bruce isn’t an authority on disc brakes.

I have it with 28c tyres, but give them a whack on the top and they drop down easily enough.

You could argue the reverse with putting disc brake wheels back in as occasionally I don't get the rotor in place first time and have to try again
I didn't really plan this, but almost all my brake levers also have QR, so this is never a problem for me!
(plus I mainly take wheels off with no air in them ... so the problem goes away ... )

And it's not an issue with Cantis.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What do all you 'disco-boys' reckon with regard to centre lock versus 6-bolt as the securing mechanism for discs? What are the factors? In danger of taking the plunge and need to buy hubs to build up (QR and 135/100).

Centre lock are better from an engineer perspective as you've got a consistent load across the whole contact surface.

6 bolt are better for roadside repairs, if a disc needs to be removed i.e. for replacing a spoke.

I also find 6 bolt rotors are slightly cheaper.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Er no.
You aren't the person who picks odd arguments with him are you?

Whilst Brucey has a lot of technical nous, his views on disc brakes are shaped by his desire to keep things simple and his history of racing.

His argument is often that they make the bike heavier through weight of rotors & calipers and beefier forks and rear stays. Nothing incorrect about that, except that matters less if you're not racing.

With regards to the OP, for dry weather riding rim brakes are more than adequate with good pads. No probs stopping this fatty down some of Yorkshire finest hills.

Last edited:
Thanks for the balanced post moodyman.
Though i would say "a lot of technical nous" is something of an understatement.
All the best.
Ps, have also ridden some fearsome yorks and lancs hills with nothing but a bit of rubber and a rim between me and oblivion. Still here.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Well it looks like my next bike (well frame) might just have rim brakes

mainly a financial decision if I’m honest but I’ll hopefully reveal all in a couple of weeks

gbb

Legendary Member
Use of the bike may clinch it IMO.
Ive always had calipers on my roadbikes and set up well, theyre perfectly adequate, i cant remember feeling i was missing anything. That said, i don't live in a hilly area where fast downhills may well benefit from discs. Ive ridden thousands of miles with rim brakes and yet to wreck the rims on any of my bikes.

Also. my rides tended to be coutryside fitness rides and in reality, you're hardly using the brakes anyway.
Conversely, if i were commuting in an urban / city environment, discs seem the way to go without any doubt.

So i'd stick with rims/ calipers unless i was buying a commuter, simply for the simplicity of (good quality) calipers.

Mike_P

Guru
Surely it depends on the locality as to the extent brakes are used. Discs are usually the more effective, something I realised last evening using the ebike for the first time in a few days.

Top Bottom