If you won a prize

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
A latte macchiato with a slice of chocolate cake at the McDonald's McCafe in Bad Wimpfen.
Have McCafes made their appearance in the UK yet?

A massive steak on a braai washed down with some cold Castle lager with my old Rhodie mates in the sun, probably in Perth, Australia

ChrisKH

Guru
Steak, jacket potato & cold beer in Cairns overlooking the hills, at Uluru (Ayers rock), or Dunk Island looking out on the beach. All at sunset. Having done all three, you can't beat it.

Followed by crepes cooked to order at the table. Yum.

Bigtallfatbloke

Well being selfish I'd like the wife to cook me a dinner at home...it's the best food in the world...but that wouldn't be what she'd like because she'd have to do all the preparation etc....so several options come to mind:

1) Outside in a southern French bistro in the summer with lots of good wine and cheese

2) Under an olive tree on a Greek island with ouzo and olives and meze and all sorts of dipping stuff etc

3) At a top class fancy restaurant where the wife can dress up and have at least six waiters at her beck and call...then a chauffer driven rolls back to a top class hotel....and when it's all over the rolls (and James) would take us home so we dont have to suffer the train.

Cab

Oysters, marsh samphire, mussels and crab all cooked on the beach, possibly in a bucket with wine and wild alexanders (except for the oysters, of course, which will be yanked out of the sea). Wine with that, a white, perhaps either Three Quires vineyards ecxellent 'Phoenix' wine. Main course perhaps lamb from up around the River Lune estuary, something like bakers oven lamb shoulder, with roast potatoes, steamed asparagus and good, fresh greens. That would be washed down with a glass of beer, something appropriate, again something Lancastrian.

Pudding will be perhaps a medley of ice creams. Raspberry, black currant and blackberr whisky. They'd be my own home made ice creams, because I defy anyone to make better. Probably washed down with a glass of sweet Moniack mead.

Cheese course would of course follow. I'd stack it with my favourite cheeses; smoked Lancashire from the Glasson Dock smokery, Stilton, Gorgonzola, goats cheese... lots of variation there. And to drink it would have to be a full bodoed, dry elderberry wine.

Follow that with coffee (Kenyan peaberry, medium roast, filter coffe, black, strongish) and maybe sweet watermint wine or perhaps a glass of Irish whisky.

Of course this has to be eaten on a beach. Theres a spot I know on the Isle of Lewis, not far from Calanais, which would be just ideal.

My best ever food experience was in a tent - mine - pitched at the applecross campsite last summer. We'd been and bought 4 live langoustines - huge ones - from a house on the north side of the peninsula. They'd been caught that day. We dropped them into boiling salted water (which is another story, it was a bit gruesome) for a few minutes, then dropped them into cold water, and then ate them as they were. No salt, butter or lemon, or anything, and we had a bottle of chilled sauvignon blanc to go with them. They were the most wonderful thing I'd ever tasted. We followed them with 8 fresh scallops, lightly cooked in butter and garlic, which was the second most wonderful thing I've tasted. No fancy restaurants for me, just good fresh food ;)

U

User169

St John (the Smithfield one):

bone marrow salad
tripe and chips
eccles cake and cheese

burgundy to accompany

Top Bottom