Ignore Board feature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it possible to add an Ignore Board feature to the software? I wouldn't dare suggest scrapping Soapbox, nice though that would be, but it would be useful to be able to simply Ignore it.

seconded

simonali

Guru
Thirded. Saying that, though, it almost is invisible to me, as so many of the regulars in there have been added to my ignore list!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
How about we get rid of it completely?

Soapbox was conceived of on C+, in order to take up the controversial arguments that usually ended up in Campaign or Cakestop. The problem I had with that was that arguments in Cakestop were modulated by their surroundings. People tend to argue more politely in a cafe. Soapbox, there and even more so on here, was a complete bear pit and that atmosphere does permeate beyond it's boundaries.

Arch

Married to Night Train
no, keep soapbox, it's somewhere for the rants to go and not pollute the rest of the board. And if I don't fancy looking at it, I just don't. No need to have an ignore feature in my mind...

Shaun

Founder
If I'm understanding this correctly, the ignore part of the request actually means hide?

For example when you select new posts, it would hide the new posts from the forums you don't want to look at, and would also remove the ignored forums from search results, etc.

Is that what you're after?

If so, I'll have a look at the VB forums to see if there is a plugin/hack that can do it. :evil:

Cheers,
Shaun

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use the New Posts feature alot - and forget to look at which forum a topic has been posted, and occasionally reply before I realise which one it was in. It would be nice to use New Posts but select not to see soapbox and bunfight for example if possible of course.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Admin said:
If I'm understanding this correctly, the ignore part of the request actually means hide?

For example when you select new posts, it would hide the new posts from the forums you don't want to look at, and would also remove the ignored forums from search results, etc.

Is that what you're after?

If so, I'll have a look at the VB forums to see if there is a plugin/hack that can do it. :evil:

Cheers,
Shaun
Er, I think so. I don't use the new posts thing myself, I just look at the main page, but anything that makes Soapbox less visible has to be a good thing. Cheers Shaun.

Arch - Fairy snuff, but my point is that if discussion threads were in the Cafe then they wouldn't tend to get so ranty in the first place.

jonesy

Guru
What's prompted all this 'let's hate Soapbox' from people who can easily avoid it? It serves a different purpose from Cakestop- Cakestop is for casual chat, Soapbox for debate. Both have their places, but they are different places. That's not to say that I don't think it should remain unchanged however.

What hasn't helped, IMHO, is that by making it 'unmoderated' and closed to non-members, it has been given a kind of sin-bin status, putting others off from venturing in, thereby reducing the self-moderating nature of the forum, and also reducing the passing trade of non-members who might previously have popped in if they'd seen something interesting. Also, the increasing use of swear words puts people off from browsing it at work, further restricting the number of participants. So my preference would be to bring it back to how it was on C+ : open to all, appropriate moderation, censoring of swear words.

jonesy

Guru
Crackle said:
I started a debate about swear words a while ago.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7563

Most were against moderating them because drawing a line is such a difficult issue.

Anyway, AM would be rendered speechless if there was a swear filter....................Actually, it is a good idea.

It shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately a small minority of members are abusing the freedom of the forum. I don't see why the tone has to be set by those with the lowest standards of behaviour. ;) As I said before, it simply puts off people who, for whatever reason, don't want to download long strings of expletives while browsing the forum.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
mjones said:
It shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately a small minority of members are abusing the freedom of the forum. I don't see why the tone has to be set by those with the lowest standards of behaviour. ;) As I said before, it simply puts off people who, for whatever reason, don't want to download long strings of expletives while browsing the forum.
I think you're mostly right mjones. The problem with having an unmoderated area, not publicly viewable, is that it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Build it and they will come, so to speak. I would have thought/hoped that you could have serious debate and casual chat within the same area, eg the Cafe. That's the way is used to be on C+ and it seemed to work, the serious threads were pretty much self-modding. Soapbox always had a reputation as a bit of a bear pit from the day of it's creation on C+ and it's got worse since. That's not intended as a knock at the way Shaun has set this place up, but maybe it's worth having a bit of a re-think. I don't think it adds anything of value beyond giving people who have little or no interest in anything else a venue to knock lumps out of each other (see the current Bunfight between Linford and Absinthe Minded for example...)

bonj2

people viewing at work that don't want their manager looking over their shoulder at swear words, all you need to do is just hold down control and use the mousewheel to zoom in and out, to make the font a bit smaller.
When YOU walk past someone else's pc, how many words do you actually read on their screen? I'll be it's none. Especially those in small font. You have to actually peer over their shoulder to read stuff.

Top Bottom