Ignore Board feature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm for keeping Soapbox as it stands, practically unmoderated in every way, invisible to guests. It is the debating chamber, rather than the place for a gentle chat. mjones, Soapbox does not have to fall to the lowest standard... there is nothing to stop anybody from reporting inappropriate language or behaviour to Admin, we can be more self-regulating. On the question of swearing, I have already stated that I think it is acceptable depending on context. If worried about being seen at work, then avoid Soapbox viewing until the privacy of your own home.

Shaun

Founder
The reason Soapbox is registered users only, is because it stops Google and other search engine spiders indexing it. Due to the nature of some of the threads and opinions in there I'm sure you can understand why I don't want them indexed.

I will look into an ignore feature, and if it's something that's easy to put in place I'll have a go.

Might not be for a little while yet though as I'm busy managing the final putting-back-in at our house and juggling contractors left right and centre. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
summerdays said:
I use the New Posts feature alot - and forget to look at which forum a topic has been posted, and occasionally reply before I realise which one it was in. It would be nice to use New Posts but select not to see soapbox and bunfight for example if possible of course.
I use the New Posts feature to keep on top of what is going on here. I don't mind seeing Soapbox threads, but I'd really like to be able to hide Racing when I have recorded something and don't want to know the results. Most people understand the *spoiler* convention but some folk don't seem to...

I was particularly peeved during the Track Cycling from Manchester by:
And now it's 8 Gold Medals!!!!, another 3 golds and Gold for Brad Wiggins ;)!

I could stay away from the forum at such times but that would mean days away during the Worlds, a week for Paris-Nice and 3 absences of 3 weeks for the Grand Tours. I'd prefer to hide Racing ta very much.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Chuffy said:
Arch - Fairy snuff, but my point is that if discussion threads were in the Cafe then they wouldn't tend to get so ranty in the first place.

I dunno. I don't have so much faith in some folk...

I also don't use new posts, I just click to the board I want to look at and take it from there, so I find it easy to avoid what I want to... I suppose the new posts feature makes a difference - never having used it, I dunno...:tongue:

jonesy

Guru
Admin said:
The reason Soapbox is registered users only, is because it stops Google and other search engine spiders indexing it. Due to the nature of some of the threads and opinions in there I'm sure you can understand why I don't want them indexed.

Shaun,

I wonder then if perhaps we should reflect on whether those sorts of posts are appropriate at all? I would draw a distinction between 'robust debate' and deliberately offensive posts of the sort you wouldn't want indexed. It ought to be possible to have a place for arguing about politics, religion, the environment, etc without descending into personal abuse and other nastiness.

Perhaps now that we've been trying out the current arrangements for a few months it might be a good time to have another discussion amongst Soapbox users about what sort of forum they want it to be and what level of control they'd accept?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
mjones said:
Shaun,
I wonder then if perhaps we should reflect on whether those sorts of posts are appropriate at all? I would draw a distinction between 'robust debate' and deliberately offensive posts of the sort you wouldn't want indexed. It ought to be possible to have a place for arguing about politics, religion, the environment, etc without descending into personal abuse and other nastiness.
Well yes, but the current set up doesn't encourage that.

Perhaps now that we've been trying out the current arrangements for a few months it might be a good time to have another discussion amongst Soapbox users about what sort of forum they want it to be and what level of control they'd accept?
Exactly, although I can imagine how 'civilised' the debate might end up being.;)
Given that Soapbox is the most controversial area of the forum, surely any debate on it needs to include other users, not just those people who live exclusively in Soapbox.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Arch said:
I dunno. I don't have so much faith in some folk...
I don't have much faith either, but I do genuinely believe that the setting can influence the tone.

jonesy

Guru
Chuffy said:
Well yes, but the current set up doesn't encourage that.

Exactly, although I can imagine how 'civilised' the debate might end up being.;)
Given that Soapbox is the most controversial area of the forum, surely any debate on it needs to include other users, not just those people who live exclusively in Soapbox.

I agree Chuffy, which is why I'd prefer Soapbox to be rehabilitated to the same status as the other boards; however to do that we'll have to find a way to make sure Shaun's concerns are addressed... I agree we will also need to bring in those who don't current use Soapbox, not least because I'd like to invite more people to join in!

andygates

But it's not really controversial, it's just a silly shouting match. I hardly ever visit CC because I always use the "new posts" thingy and I'm fed up with seeing a title, thinking "ooh, that looks interesting.. oh no, it's in soapbox, it'll be shouty rubbish."

Occasionally I peek anyway. I have never been wrong on this assessment.
;) So I'd love "ignore this section".

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
andygates said:
But it's not really controversial, it's just a silly shouting match. I hardly ever visit CC because I always use the "new posts" thingy and I'm fed up with seeing a title, thinking "ooh, that looks interesting.. oh no, it's in soapbox, it'll be shouty rubbish."

Occasionally I peek anyway. I have never been wrong on this assessment.
;) So I'd love "ignore this section".
That's pretty much what I mean by 'controversial'. I wasn't referring to the actual content, more to the way that Soapbox itself upsets/annoys/puts people off.

Shaun

Founder
I've looked into this and there is no feature that allows specific fora to be ignored.

However there is a way of creating public user groups to control access to specific fora and that's what I've done.

To get access to Soapbox you will now need to be a member of the Soapbox Users public group.

You can join / leave the group, here:
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroups

If you are NOT a member of the Soapbox group you don't have access to it and you don't see any posts from it.

This should stop Soapbox overspilling into other areas of the forum and leave the door open for the Soapbox regulars and anyone who wants to join and see what goes on there.

Cheers,
Shaun

Top Bottom