Igor, crank up the lightning........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thanks for the info. Despite the Ebay prices, this is something that has been stored under less than ideal conditions for a very long time and I'm not that comfortable with selling it if it packs up after five minutes use by the buyer. There's a computer museum in Cambridge but they already have one so I will have to find a suitable nerd somewhere.

I too will ask around for you. I know a few people who may know a few other people who may know a few other, other people who may be interested :laugh:

As for ebay - If it comes to it, Just sell it as is with a disclaimer - be clear about it being stored in less than ideal conditions so youre not responsible if it kicks the bucket after they received it. Somebody will still buy it if the price is right.

Anyone who knows anything about old electrical goods will know that there will always be a degree of risk when picking up retro electronics like your PC1 and the only people that are actively looking for these things, normally do have some understanding of electronics to some level and able to replace things like bad capacitors/resistors and other things on the motherboard.

classic33

Leg End Member
That plastic can be cleaned up with hydrogen peroxide (or some sort of peroxide) or bicarbonate soda and fine grit sandpaper. Ive seen a lot of retro tech collectors do this after stripping all the important electrics out.

You basically strip everything out and dip the discoloured plastic parts into a vat or tub of hydrogen peroxide or bicarbonate soda and that stuff just eats away at all the dirt and grime that's been embedded into the plastic over the years.

If you dont want it - some retro collector will definitely take it off you.
I've used Cif/Jif to clean similar plastics.
Bit of elbow grease required, but it works.

Wash off/rinse with water.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
TBH, we still have some tools at work that run systems barely a step up from the OP. For a hi-tech silicon chip manufacturer you would be surprised how often we resort to ebay to buy things like the dinosaur upthread just to keep our historical collection of machinery in production :laugh:

OP
OP
Rezillo

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I too will ask around for you. I know a few people who may know a few other people who may know a few other, other people who may be interested :laugh:

As for ebay - If it comes to it, Just sell it as is with a disclaimer - be clear about it being stored in less than ideal conditions so youre not responsible if it kicks the bucket after they received it. Somebody will still buy it if the price is right.

Anyone who knows anything about old electrical goods will know that there will always be a degree of risk when picking up retro electronics like your PC1 and the only people that are actively looking for these things, normally do have some understanding of electronics to some level and able to replace things like bad capacitors/resistors and other things on the motherboard.
Happy to let it go to an enthusiast in exchange for a modest RNLI donation but they would have to collect (Suffolk). The monitor has two small melt lines on the case which I think can only be due to a plumber working in the loft some years ago close to where it was half-buried under insulation.

I worked out after posting that it went in our loft in 1993 and remained there until today!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Happy to let it go to an enthusiast in exchange for a modest RNLI donation but they would have to collect (Suffolk). The monitor has two small melt lines on the case which I think can only be due to a plumber working in the loft some years ago close to where it was half-buried under insulation.

I worked out after posting that it went in our loft in 1993 and remained there until today!

cat-im-on-it.gif

I know some folk from around that neck of the woods. If i hear anything, I'll let you know.

midlife

Guru
Checked and a working Amstrad Pc like the one I had is £300 plus. I also have a Psion 3A which might be worth a Bob or two lol.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just a heads up, I already have some interest. Just passed on the terms & conditions and we'll see how far it goes.

(and yes, they are already talking about cleaning the thing up and swapping out all the capacitors :laugh: I told you i'd find someone!)

Top Bottom