Igor, crank up the lightning........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
In our cold, damp loft for more than 20 years before being plugged in today in a cold, damp workshop.

Throw the switches.....

olly.jpg

IT LIVES!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
88 miles per hour Marty!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Excellent find!

People are selling the desktop itself (without the monitor) on ebay for £165. while one being sold 'for parts' is selling for £200 :wacko:

your set up has to be worth a good amount to collectors out there since its in decent condition and working.

midlife

Guru
Takes me back to my Amstrad 1512 days :smile: going to pop over to the bay of evil and see if there are any for sale just for interest

OP
OP
Rezillo

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Excellent find!

People are selling the desktop itself (without the monitor) on ebay for £165. while one being sold 'for parts' is selling for £200 :wacko:

your set up has to be worth a good amount to collectors out there since its in decent condition and working.
Wow! When I last looked, which I admit was probably 10 years ago, you could get one for less than £40. I once saw one at the Bletchley Park museum and offered them mine but they didn't want another one.

The monitor plastic is quite heavily discoloured.

AndyRM

XOXO

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Wow! When I last looked, which I admit was probably 10 years ago, you could get one for less than £40. I once saw one at the Bletchley Park museum and offered them mine but they didn't want another one.

The monitor plastic is quite heavily discoloured.

That plastic can be cleaned up with hydrogen peroxide (or some sort of peroxide) or bicarbonate soda and fine grit sandpaper. Ive seen a lot of retro tech collectors do this after stripping all the important electrics out.

You basically strip everything out and dip the discoloured plastic parts into a vat or tub of hydrogen peroxide or bicarbonate soda and that stuff just eats away at all the dirt and grime that's been embedded into the plastic over the years.

If you dont want it - some retro collector will definitely take it off you.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The fingers on edge connectors used to be plated to a far greater thickness than they are now. There are commercial organisations that break up old boards purely to recover the plated gold.

OP
OP
Rezillo

Rezillo

TwoSheds
That plastic can be cleaned up with hydrogen peroxide (or some sort of peroxide) or bicarbonate soda and fine grit sandpaper. Ive seen a lot of retro tech collectors do this after stripping all the important electrics out.

You basically strip everything out and dip the discoloured plastic parts into a vat or tub of hydrogen peroxide or bicarbonate soda and that stuff just eats away at all the dirt and grime that's been embedded into the plastic over the years.

If you dont want it - some retro collector will definitely take it off you.
Thanks for the info. Despite the Ebay prices, this is something that has been stored under less than ideal conditions for a very long time and I'm not that comfortable with selling it if it packs up after five minutes use by the buyer. There's a computer museum in Cambridge but they already have one so I will have to find a suitable nerd somewhere.

Top Bottom