Illegal behaviour rampant among HGV drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't see it as us against them. We are all responsible.
For killing people?

JayMac

Unfortunately im one of those hgv drivers that us cyclists like to bash... since i left the army 3 years ago ive worked nights on the wagons... alot of these headlines that you read also include alot of foreign wagons statistics...

If vosa pull one polish wagon and find 10+ faults then that will skew the statisticd for other hgvs. So statistics can be fudged to prove an agenda.

Dont get me started! Haha

Attachments

• 20140107_231755.jpg
    20140107_231755.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 71

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Unfortunately im one of those hgv drivers that us cyclists like to bash... since i left the army 3 years ago ive worked nights on the wagons... alot of these headlines that you read also include alot of foreign wagons statistics...

If vosa pull one polish wagon and find 10+ faults then that will skew the statisticd for other hgvs. So statistics can be fudged to prove an agenda.

Dont get me started! Haha

The OP was about the number of lorries that were defective or illegal, not about the number of infractions averaged out across the sample of lorries.

Brandane

Legendary Member
VOSA checks are random. In 2012-13 30% of those HGVs checked were issued prohibition notices on grounds of mechanical failure and 19% on grounds of drivers' hours.
Pish. What do you know about VOSA? Or are you just off on one of your anti lorry crusades again?
Having been directed into VOSA checkpoints several times while driving an HGV, I can assure you they target certain companies and nationalities.
I was always waved straight through the checkpoint when they realised I was driving for a reputable company.

99% of VOSA statistics are bollox anyway.

JayMac

Stats vosa quote are there to make themselves look important.

I do container work from liverpool seaforth docks.. and whenever a ferry from ireland arrives, vosa swarm them. And lo and behold 6hours later the vosa station has 10+ irish wagons there parked up.

But them wagons affect uk stats!

R_nger

Guru

I do container work from liverpool seaforth docks.. and whenever a ferry from ireland arrives, vosa swarm them. And lo and behold 6hours later the vosa station has 10+ irish wagons there parked up.

I'm not sure I follow - are you suggesting that foreign vehicles on UK roads should not be included in the statistics ? Or do these lorries get sent straight back to Ireland ?

JayMac

When its generalised that 30 odd percent of wagons in the uk are breaking laws it implies thats everyone.

If i took an educated guess id say maybe 5% of uk registered vehicles fall into that 30% generalisation.

Its not worth the risk running "bent" in the uk. Where as foreign vehicles are willing to run the risk

Edit*** i think the findings of any statistics should show where the vehicle is from.

Foreign vehicles are more likely to break the rules 99% of all drivers will agree and the other 1% probably dont understand the question because they dont speak english

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm a bit confused, some people on here are saying that foreign large goods vehicles are skewing the figures.
Surely the nationality of a dangerous large goods vehicle is irrelevant because they've been stopped on British roads, I.e, where they're dangerous to British road users and breaking British legal requirements.

I think spots checks are a good use of sparse resources, the best option available, just the same as spot checks for drunk drivers.

Iirc from when I took my HGV test in the Army - I as the driver, was responsible for the vehicles condition, and if I was prepared to drive a non road worthy vehicle or go over my hours that was my personal choice, and as such I paid the price if caught driving said vehicle.

JayMac

All im saying is that if you pulled the next 100 vehicles from the uk. And the next 100 foreign vehicles. The majority of fines or infringements will land on foreign vehicles.

classic33

Leg End Member

Are those wagons actually owned/operated by Irish companies, or English companies taking advantage of a cheaper operating system?
Stobart have a depot on the North Wall, using Irish registered vehicles.
Go down the midlands(Ireland) & you'll come across a company thats known on both sides of the Irish Sea, to those whose job it is to check the vehicles on the roadside. A driver gets caught on one route in, will be taken of that route & come in by another.
They used to have a red colour scheme.

Question raised within the industry itself. How widespread is the use of GPS Jammers by drivers?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm sorry but I still don't understand why that matters? Surely this means that the authorities efforts are having a positive impact and by targeting known previous offenders or demographic likely offenders is an efficient use of scarce resources is it not?
That's true, but it skews the figures and presents statistics which are ammunition to the likes of the OP..
I am all for VOSA targeting known offenders, as it is a common sense use of resources. It is scaremongering at its worst though for the OP to then claim that in RANDOM checks, x% of lorries were found to have defects.
It doesn't tell you that the 99% of lorries which VOSA DON'T check are running without any defects.

Top Bottom