Illegal bicycle lights, so powerful they burn paper!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Quite right, for road use. For off road though, some light higher is useful to show low branches etc.
I do use mine off road and don't have an issue with seeing eye gougers and scalper branches. I find the less intense non centre throw of light does me ok there while still being gentle enough on the eyes of fellow road users.

That said, I always use full power off road and the generally the lower power setting on it.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
A new CycleChat member who has made just one post, and that one post is saying how wonderful a product is?
Even without my tin foil hat on I'm not sure this new member has our community's best interests deep in his heart.

Reverse-pshycology spamming, well that's not really a new thing :smile:

P.S don't buy any of my novels, they all suck, your friends will laugh at you, lovers will spurn you and reading even a handful of my words can lead to genital warts.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ever put your hand near a lightbulb?
Hence their inefficiency as a light source compared to fluorescent, which have better energy usage due to the fact that they are producing light, not so much heat and light. LEDS produce heat, but within the device itself, often shielded from the environment by the enclosing material. They produce about thrice the amount of light for energy over incandescent light, however.
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/2005/05/fact-or-fiction-leds-don-t-produce-heat.html
Old bottle generator and a battery light still get the job done for me.

Last edited:

huwsparky

Über Member
I have a bright light light and I love it. They only cause a nuisance to others if the user is a fool.

The problem with 'bright lights' is in our frame of reference, no-one ever says 'I've got some dim lights on my bike' , even the pathetically feeble Smart 7 lumen city light looks 'bright'.

I must admit that I have to admire the integrity of the people who complain lights are too bright....

I have two "regulars"

One prevents blinding others by using an old green flashing LED visible at about 10m, and the other uses no lights at all

I can see why compared to their opinion of adequate lighting that mine is "excessive"

ummmm *shuffles awkwardly on the spot* I forgot if I'd charged my rear light or not the other day, just to check I casually switched it on while it was pointing directly at my eyes.

I found out I had charged it and it is very bright at that proximity.

According to the British Epilepsy Society, the only recorded fit caused by a bicycle light was in exactly this situation

Top Bottom