I'm 5ft 8", what size bike do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Hi, I used to be in a cycling club over 30 years ago and bought bikes with a 23 inch frame and horizontal crossbar which suited my 5ft 8" height perfectly.
I'm still 5ft 8" and want to buy a hybrid bike but I don't understand how they're sized nowadays, especially as their crossbars are angled downwards to the rear.
For example some online catalogues list bike sizes as S,M,L,XL etc, and others list them as 17",18",19",20" etc.
Which size do i need for my 5ft 8" height?
Important!- I always found I pedalled most comfortably when the distance from the crank centre to the top of the saddle was about 29", so when I buy a new bike soon I need to be absolutely certain that it'll give me that distance.
In the old days buying a bike was easy, you just went down the bike shop and bought one off the shelf, but nowadays everything seems to be done by online ordering and you don't get the chance to actually sit on the bike first to get the feel of it..:smile:

Go to a bike shop, tell them what you want, and they'll sort it for you.
Most independent shops can price match the online retailers nowadays - if you ask. If not, you'll know what you need and can order online.

Orangreen

Regular
I'm the same height as you and my current bike is 17.5 inches. I tried the 20" size but found that it was a little stretched out. Try a few for size if you can. Good luck with your search.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
+1 on the test ride.
I would have bought a PX medium if I hadn't have ridden one, as I was on a Medium frame on a Giant. Good job that I test rode first or I would have bought a bike a bit too small for me. I'm just 1/2" shorter than you.

ayceejay

Guru
I agree that you should meet your new bike face to face and forget the olden days. Any information you get regarding bike size via self measurement will be a guess at best as it is a very personal thing and you need to try it out. I am a tad under 6 feet tall and 'back in the day' would ride a 22 1/2" just to illustrate how personal preference plays into this.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride, Evanscycles for example make it extremely easy. Big range, free test rides with photo ID (ok they take a penny off your card, but you can get it credited back when you return the bike) and they price match quite a range of other retailers

The size you need will depend on the bike, the geometry, what bit the manufacturer measures to come up with the size and your own preferences

Given your inexperience, as above, you'd be best not to buy a bike online, even if it's £50 less! A shop will build it, check it over, give it a 6 week check over too and troubleshoot any issues that may arise

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I agree with all of the previous comments, go and try a range of bikes and frame types with cycle retailer before you even consider buying a bike on-line.

I too am 5'8" and my current road bike; which has a sloping frame has a 54" top tube. Just recently I have been looking for a new bike and I have been trying different size frames, but each time I find that a 54" top tube is the best fit for me.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive just changed from a 54 to a 52,,again im around 5'8..i do struggle with shoulders and neck so the shorter frame and a 70mm stem seem better..inside leg is around 30'

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi, I used to be in a cycling club over 30 years ago and bought bikes with a 23 inch frame and horizontal crossbar which suited my 5ft 8" height perfectly.
I'm still 5ft 8" and want to buy a hybrid bike but I don't understand how they're sized nowadays, especially as their crossbars are angled downwards to the rear.
For example some online catalogues list bike sizes as S,M,L,XL etc, and others list them as 17",18",19",20" etc.
Which size do i need for my 5ft 8" height?
Important!- I always found I pedalled most comfortably when the distance from the crank centre to the top of the saddle was about 29", so when I buy a new bike soon I need to be absolutely certain that it'll give me that distance.
In the old days buying a bike was easy, you just went down the bike shop and bought one off the shelf, but nowadays everything seems to be done by online ordering and you don't get the chance to actually sit on the bike first to get the feel of it..:smile:

In the old days people thought your height determined the best size of bike, now they know better.

You'll get a bunch of people the same height with different size bikes, set up differently. So best thing to do is try a few and get advice in person.

Top Bottom