I'm a better driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I almost always refuse to share a bus lane with either buses or taxis. As far as I'm concerned they can use the other lane to overtake me.

I'm not sure whether cycling has made me a better driver. I'm finding it harder to be patient in queues, and I keep almost going in bus lanes when I'm not supposed to. OTOH I like to think I'm more patient overall, and more careful around pedestrians and cyclists.

Redvers

Moodyman said:
I think I've become a better driver since I started cycle commuting last summer.

Not that I was a bad driver in the first place. I've always been cautious and have had no accidents in over 16 years of motoring.

But, like most drivers, I often drive in auto-pilot. Because road cycling demands more alertness, planning, anticipation, I've found these carry through to my driving.

Anybody else experience this?

Drivers should keep in mind the old adage:

“Most cyclists also drive, most drivers don’t cycle”

It’s the reason why generally cyclists have a wider perspective and better understanding of the road.

I drive so infrequently now that I wouldn't like to rate my driving, I was never a great driver by my own admission.

But I think driving makes me a better cyclist, certainly compared to other cyclists I know who don't have the "reading the road" type skills that come from driving for any length of time. That said some drivers seem to have no idea how other drivers will react and how road conditions change, perhaps it's as Redvers says they lack a second perspective on things.

Plax said:
I think I'm average. There will be other drivers out there better than me, and there'll be other drivers out there I'm better than. I think it is dangerous to think that you are an excellent driver, as this is the kind of attitude that causes over-confidence and leads to accidents. Usually that type of person thinks they are so good they aren't open to constructive criticism and therefore less likely to change their bad habits.

+1

BentMikey said:
OTOH I like to think I'm more patient overall, and more careful around pedestrians and cyclists.

I think and hope I am now thanks to being told off on here.:laugh::laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm probably a bit better since I got some more tuition.
I'm not sure that a speed awareness course and a track day are necessarily compatible, mind.

I generally think I am a better driver than average (well I would do wouldn't I) for the following reasons:

1. Never had an accident in 23 years of driving (now there's the kiss of death).

2. Motorbike rider for many years.

3. Currently living in Germany so used to driving ......errr .....quickly (:biggrin:) and with the gearshift (and the rest of the car) on the wrong side.

GrasB

Veteran
So who has put their money where their mouth is & go for an IAM or RoSPA advance driving certificate?...

I can say that I have & I've passed RoSPA AD test & subsequent retests & every time have been at Silver or Gold standard. While that gives me lot s confidence in my driving a quick glance at my test reports give me a reminder that there's plenty of room for improvement as well.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd class my driving as competent, I'm patient, don't get aggravated easily, show courtesy to others etc. My general awareness has improved since I took up cycling, though, from motorbike riding, I did have a reasonable awareness of other road users.

So, that's after 23 years of driving, I reckon I've progressed from a potential danger to competent and safe. I've never had an accident but would say, for my first 5 years of driving, that had more to do with the avoidance skills of others than anything I did. The only thing I've never been is a speed merchant, that shows in my cycling as well:blush:

Norm

Cap_Scarlet said:
3. Currently living in Germany so used to driving ......errr .....quickly (:laugh:) and with the gearshift (and the rest of the car) on the wrong side.
I lived in Munich for a while and, remember, when I came back, I did a trip to London. After about an hour on the M4, I got to Chiswick, reached down to change gear and smacked my hand on the door handle.

I decided to change gear with my left hand instead. :biggrin:

Helly79

since riding a cycle and also a moped I have been more aware of other road users when I'm driving a car. I give cyclist/ motorbikes loads of space when overtaking. using the life saver even in a car and also when motorbikes are trying to over take I move over to the left to let them past me.

Its a shame they can't make it compulsory for all new drivers to spend three months on a bicycle so that they know what its like to have a car etc driving past you not leaving you enough space. If they don't complete it then they don't get there license.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, been 'properly' riding longer than driving - i.e. went to club level cycling from 16, and proper bikes....then started to learn to drive from 17.

I always say, the love of speed on a pedal bike stopped me being a silly teenager in a car...... and the fact that any 'points' would eat into the bike budget..... my first car was about the same price as my first race bike..... hence me not getting a bike with an engine....

Now I'll stick to the speed limit...gatso's everywhere, and TBH, you don't get anywhere quick in a car.... Motorway's I'll push a little but only traffic speed...:biggrin: pedal bike I'll ride as fast as I can............:tongue:

Driving, having had a bout of 8 years serious long commutes in a car, is like...urgh....xx( Now driving is like.. get in, and get there, and get out...whooooo....:biggrin: fortunately my car 'driving' is weekends only....

I'd say I'm more considerate, as I realise we aren't going anywhere...biking has sort of 'proved that'..... but getting "angry" get's you no where...be it in a car or bike vs car or bike........;) - many folk don't realise that..

I drive the car to get me and family, and 'gubbins' somewhere nice, usually..... the bike does commutes and the 'great stuff' at weekends.......;)

Yes, I drive 'better' because I am a cyclist also......... balanced opinion.

Norm said:
I lived in Munich for a while and, remember, when I came back, I did a trip to London. After about an hour on the M4, I got to Chiswick, reached down to change gear and smacked my hand on the door handle.

I decided to change gear with my left hand instead. :sun:

Exactly....even after the number of years I have been here I am still banging my head on the window when reversing!

Funny thing that, over the past few years the amount of driving I've done in LHD cars, abroad, has been more or less equal to what I've done in RHD cars. I can say with confidence, I don't have any problem with the switch-over between gear-lever-on-the-right and gear-lever-on-the-left. It just seems to come naturally. Does this say anything about the way I drive?

What I do have trouble with, sometimes, is cycling on the right, specifically glancing behind. I don't find it at all easy to glance over the left shoulder.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A lot of this stuff is very worrying

Why does this worry you hackbike?

The point that comes through is that most people don't regards themselves as great drivers, but their driving is better since two-wheeling because of their improved hazard awareness that this brings.

Top Bottom