I'm a jogger and now.......

how many km do i need to cycle in 24 minutes to get the same benefit as jogging for the same time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your legs will always feel knackered running straight after cycling, heavy and a bit clumsy feeling. I think Triathletes have a name for it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is your saddle high enough ?
A classic mistake of most new cyclist is that their saddle is to low = burning thighs.

arch684

Veteran
I use to cycle the 10 miles to work and then run home in the evening.I did that for a few years it was the fittest i have ever been but the my knees and hips started to bother me and i gave up the running.cycling only now and no problems with hips or knees

OP
OP
J

jmsprint

OK so this morning 9k in 26 minutes. MUCH more enjoyable than jogging! Anyone recommend a free iPhone cycle app? Only want time and distance really.

raggydoll

Über Member
I use cycledroid which I really like. Free and gives speed and distance etc. I use android so not sure if it's on iPhone.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Running after a bike ride is usually known as brick training and it's a feeling that has to be experienced to be appreciated. It also works the other way around and I think it's because both disciplines use different muscle groups so the whole of the leg is used up. I've never felt anything like it the day after.

vickster

Legendary Member
Except it won't be that many calories ;) but yes cycling is much more enjoyable than running IMO (you rarely if ever see a happy looking jogger)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Except it won't be that many calories ;) but yes cycling is much more enjoyable than running IMO (you rarely if ever see a happy looking jogger)
Reminds me of something i heard on tv somewhere about a runner saying their legs were not aching and when someone suggested going for a run
"what and spoil the feeling ? "

Might be misquoted and misconstrued but you get the idea .............

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Doubling the speed of the bike, thereby doubling the wind resistance, takes far more than twice as much energy.
IIRC - Drag increases by the square of the increase in speed; Twice the speed, four times the drag, etc. Also the power required is the cube of the relative increase in speed, so double the speed requires 8x the power.

Russell

rd83

I'm a runner but struggle with this calculation too. When I run, I usually race which skews the calculation as when I ride I pootle! So for me I multiply the run distance by 5 to get near the same level. That said it doesn't bother me and don't ever think about it really. When I'm running I'm running, when I'm riding I'm riding.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OK so I took my first ride today at 6am. I drove around until I found a 12k route and then returned and set off on the bike to try and do it in 24 minutes. After about 2k I knew the muscle set employed was different and although I felt my fitness would have been fine there was no way my thighs were strong enough. I turned round and completed 4k in 11 minutes. Then went for a 2k jog. My legs were knackered!! No pain no gain, more tomorrow morning!
Yup. Bike fit and run fit are two different fitts.

But running will ensure you get bike fit a whole lot quicker than most.

Top Bottom