I'm a wee bit squiffy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
..but it's all in the name of research.

I'm trying to pair up some nice cheeses with malt whiskies. The cheeses tonight were: Arran blue, Isle of Mull Cheddar, Stichelton Organic, and Dunsyre Blue. So far I've been taste testing them against Dalmore, Arran, and Bowmore 17 year old.

It's been a pretty good evening so far although I feel that my eyes are slurred and my speech is a bit glazed. My handwritten notes are all over the place and if it wasn't for spellchecker the thingy, my spelling in this post would be all over the fooking place.

I had a question when I started this but I can't remember what it was.. bugger.

4 cheeses x 3 malts = 12 hours sleep

By the way, the best crackers in the world for this are Olivia & Marino sfoglie croccanti al forno. Fuq knows where you'll get them because I can only find them in one shop in the whole of Glasgow and that's George Mewes on Byres Road, cracking cheese shop. Ooh, went a bit Wallace and Gromit there.

If I remember the question I'll come back with it but it might not be for a while.

And anyway, I didn't even like blue cheese till I bought this stuff from a proper cheesemonger (blessed are they). Just goes to show you .. something, I don't know.

I'm just going to lie down here for a few minutes. I'll go up to bed soon. Honest.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It sounds like a bad case of cheese intoxication to me.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm enjoying the way GC has managed to get increasingly intoxicated over the course of a single post. He could've spun several pages of thread out of it. He'll be snoring on the sofa by now though.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Whiskey and smoked fish now there's a different matter,would keep cheese accompaniments more fruit based,a nice strong cider and fresh figs even fruit cake,very rustic but fits the bill,cheese is my ultimate weakness,delis ,farm shops ,I'm in there like a rat up a drain pipe

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Oh boy, that was quite an evening.

I woke up about 2am with one cat sleeping on my lap and the other licking my eyebrows as she sat on the arm of the sofa.

The last cheese I'd tried was the Arran Blue and I'd forgotten to wrap it up again as I'd done with the others so all that was left was a clean sheet of wrapping paper on the carpet. One (or both) of the cats had eaten it, the little buggers. Do they even know how much that stuff costs? At least they didn't touch my whisky. I think.

I'll have to wait until Saturday to continue my investigations as I'm playing taxi driver for SWMBA tonight and tomorrow.

Ah, the question! Does anyone have any cheese/whisky combinations they could recommend?
I'll try just about any cheese but would prefer not to have to buy a whisky I don't have in the cupboard already. Here's what I've got to choose from:
Aberlour
Ardbeg
Ardmore
Arran
Bowmore (10 y.o)
Bowmore (17 y.o)
Bunnahabhain
Caol Ila (12 y.o)
Caol Ila (18 y.o)
Dalmore
(The) Glenlivet
Glenmorangie
Highland Park
Jura
Knockando
Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Ledaig
Macallan
Nikka Taketsuru
Penderyn (Welsh malt, very nice)
Talisker
One pairing I tried last week was Gorgonzola piccante with Laphroaig and that was fab.

The reason for all of this is that I've a boys' week away with my brothers coming up soon and I'm arranging this as a surprise for them. I want to present three, no more than four, cheese/whisky pairings that go very well together.

So get thinking, get drinking, and tell me what you come up with.

GC

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Talisker with Roquefort is the finest combination possible.

That said, Caol Ila with a smoked cheddar is pretty nice as well.

Since you seem to be speaking from experience, I'll give those a try. I haven't tried Roquefort for many years as I found way too salty. My palate may have changed since then so I'll give it a go, thanks.

I'm not a great fan of smoked cheeses (although my wife is) but again, I'll try that too.

GC

Top Bottom