I'm alive & I've lost my virginity! :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quidditys_shore

well after buying my first bike in 20 years (not rode since i was 12!) but then having it stood in the back bedroom for 18 months :tongue: i've finally done it!

just got back in from doing a trial run of my commute to work! ;)

its grangetown (in middlesbrough) to redcar. its 5 miles each way. did it 39mins going & 30mins coming back, about 10 miles an hour. dont know if this is good but i enjoyed it!

potsy

Rambler
Better late than never they say:smile: Well done you'll wish you'd done it sooner though once you get used to it.
Nowt wrong with 10mph for starters either.

OP
OP
quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

thanks posty! i do wish i'd forced myself years ago but now i can see myself getting into it! :smile:

Mark_Robson said:
That's pretty good. I hope that the smog didn't impair your performance.:tongue:
Sorry but I couldn't stop myself from typing that.:biggrin:

no, i rode past the now dead corus steel works so no smog! we may be smoggies down here but it does have its benifits...... atleast we arent goerdies! ;) couldnt resist that also :biggrin:

Cool_Mint

quidditys_shore said:
its grangetown (in middlesbrough) to redcar. its 5 miles each way. did it 39mins going & 30mins coming back, about 10 miles an hour. dont know if this is good but i enjoyed it!

That's actually pretty damn good going for a first ride, I hope you're not feeling too bruised!

:tongue:

Good on ya. I wouldn't even start thinking about times for about 6 weeks. Just get used to the distance and the difference weather etc makes. After that you can amaze yourself and us with the difference!

OP
OP
quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

thanks coolmint & johnr!

i'm a pretty unfit guy. 33y/o, 40inch waist & 15 stone. never been into sports!

it was a good day today though. nice & sunny with a breeze that kept me cool (if you knew me you'd know i'm like a radiator! save on gas & shut the door when i'm in the room! LOL) not sure what it'll be like when the weather gets worse. will also now have to see the boss if there is anywhere i can leave the bike at work.

shippers

Doesn't matter how long it took.
You've started on a slippery slope that can only end in one thing.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/mono-q-veloce-2010-road-bike-ec021245?query=Bianchi

OP
OP
quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

hackbike 666 said:
You could nick her bike.:sad:

she doesnt have it anymore :smile: when living with her ex they were getting new carpets fitted. the carpet fitter saw her bike & offered her ex £700 for it, which he thought was a good deal & that she'd be happy with! :wacko: no wonder she split up with him!

OP
OP
quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore

just an update!

cant believe its been 2 months since i did my trail run! LOL i wasnt able to start commuting due to problems with my left foot :biggrin: been hobbling around for most of it!

but yesterday i decided that i'd my first official commute today! checked the weather & all seemed good, sunny, bit overcast.

set off at 6am, bit colder than i thought, got to the end of the road & it started spitting! (you know that fine rain that soaks you right through?! LOL) then along the trunk road & straight into 20mph winds! :tongue: about 5 mins from work & it shot it down so was a bit drowned when i got to work!

it took me 45mins there, but felt ok. finished at 2:30 & it took me 35mins coming back (wind now pushing me to the left!) & beat the bus i wouldve got home! :angry:

all in all i'm pretty please with myself! just hope my legs & bottom recover for doing it again tomorrow! ;)

Armegatron

quidditys_shore said:
no, i rode past the now dead corus steel works so no smog! we may be smoggies down here but it does have its benifits...... atleast we arent goerdies! :laugh: couldnt resist that also :tongue:

No smog, just the smell from the Bioethanol plant instead xx(

quidditys_shore said:
just an update!

cant believe its been 2 months since i did my trail run! LOL i wasnt able to start commuting due to problems with my left foot :wacko: been hobbling around for most of it!

but yesterday i decided that i'd my first official commute today! checked the weather & all seemed good, sunny, bit overcast.

set off at 6am, bit colder than i thought, got to the end of the road & it started spitting! (you know that fine rain that soaks you right through?! LOL) then along the trunk road & straight into 20mph winds! :sad: about 5 mins from work & it shot it down so was a bit drowned when i got to work!

it took me 45mins there, but felt ok. finished at 2:30 & it took me 35mins coming back (wind now pushing me to the left!) & beat the bus i wouldve got home! :biggrin:

all in all i'm pretty please with myself! just hope my legs & bottom recover for doing it again tomorrow! :laugh:

Well done mate! I cant stand cycling down the trunk road myself, it just seems to go on and on forever! Thankfully I missed the rain on friday.
Keep up the good work :laugh:

Top Bottom