I'm almost too ashamed to post this but....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubester has moved to the darkside.

He plays rugby to a pretty high level, and as a result has to work hard to maintain fitness levels through the off-season. This year, for the first time, junior rugby league has aligned with the summer season.

One of his best mates at school plays for a local team and so Cubester decided he would like at least to train with them in order to keep his fitness going, so we rocked up at Newsome Panthers U14 training a few weeks ago. They have been incredibly welcoming, and despite a few "which code is better and why" conversations they seem to appreciate what he brings to the game. He is a second row in his Union team, but is now being caught up in terms of height, and is gravitating towards the front row. Strong enough to play tight head he is an aggressive, destructive ball-carrier and ruck-monster.

He is determined to play at the highest possible level, so always trains hard and is a joy to coach, so it was a pleasant surprise when they put him in the starting line-up last week for his debut. He had a good few runs and set up at least two tries,putting in a great number of hard tackles. He was chuffed to bits to win MOTM, and has declared he would like to play on at both codes.

What worries me most is that I've started watching league from a slightly different perspective. I still find it a bit repetitive and can't stand the lack of competition at the breakdown. It strikes me as anathema to kick perfectly good possession away, and the "scrums" are laughable, but in a bizarre way I have started to enjoy watching.

RL is a tough call for the young player. RU gives a little bit more 'hiding place' during any given game - I think. Super League fitness and expertise is a skill to covet. Good luck to one keen player!
Oh. And in pro terms, there are not too many who make the grade from RU to RL, but there are plenty of aspirants and "Jason mention" former players who easily make the grade in RU.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
RL is a tough call for the young player. RU gives a little bit more 'hiding place' during any given game - I think. Super League fitness and expertise is a skill to covet. Good luck to one keen player!
Oh. And in pro terms, there are not too many who make the grade from RU to RL, but there are plenty of aspirants and "Jason mention" former players who easily make the grade in RU.
As a coach I couldn't agree more. We run two U14 teams with an A and a B team at his Union club. The 1st string forwards on our team have a reputation as an aggressive and dominant pack, coached (and willing) to ruck hard, jackle and rip. Their ethos is to beat the opposition pack into submission before the first five minutes are up. Needless to say the most interesting games are against teams who think that they too should be the dominant pack. The hiding place thing becomes obvious when a player without the mettle or fitness to play to their level has to be drafted in.

One of the organising parents told me that it was the fitness that would let Cubester and his mate down, as most "union lads" would be "blowing out of their arse after ten minutes". Better to keep quiet and let Cubester and Aaron do the demonstrating, and so far we haven't let on that they play for West Yorkshire. They are both holding their own very well (Aaron is a county boxing champ as well)

I am however very impressed with the attitude of the whole Newsome squad. They are indeed a fit bunch of lads (I can think of any number of our B team that wouldn't last five minutes) and have made Cubester very welcome. They are more than happy to tell him where to go in the line, and the forwards are thrilled to let him take some of the pressure off them. They play again tonight and I've given up a curry night to go and watch.... better be good!

Top Bottom