I'm back and broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Hello strangers, its been awhile, well nearly three years. Not been cycling, the weights piled on and I'm so unfit compared to what I used to be like.

Start at the beginning, I started a new job as a prison officer and fell out with my cycling buddy ( Brexit :biggrin: ) and I just fell in to a crap routine, I did do a bit of running and swimming, but I'm a big lad and need a routine to exercise, it was meant to be cycling to work, but that never worked out.

So three years on I'm 18st and turn 50 in a couple of weeks, nothing like a milestone birthday to get you thinking about your health ;)

So here's the cunning plan, going to start yoga ( WTF has that got to do with cycling) and the diet, I eat tooooo much cheese. Then over the next month slowly build up my strength and will power. Off to Lanzarote for the 50th so that's when I get back on the bike and increase that slowly. Hopefully be up to cycle to work, 9 hilly miles in March and the weather and light will be getting better.

When I look back and think about the 100 mile rides around the Wirral peninsula and back to Wrexham, or cycle along the NWales coast, I so miss the rides. Hopefully I'll be back to some sort of decent fitness before the weather gets really nice :smile:

Cheers me dears

Sean

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Welcome back, look forward to hearing about your progress back to 100mile rides.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Good for you for recognising the issue and addressing it.

About 5 years ago I did a similar thing. Mid-40s, overweight, sedentary lifestyle - all I could see in the future was diabetes, heart disease or just generally not being able to do anything strenuous with my kids. I set myself up with a target and a plan: get to my wedding day weight and make use of data to track it (I’m a scientist so I thought I may as well use my training).

I pulled out my unused MTB, set myself up a Strava account and a MyFitnessPal account and then went at it. The MFP app took my data and my objective and set me a 1,500 calorie-per-day target. I then religiously logged everything I ate and all the exercise I did. The exercise was nothing but riding - 2 to 3 times a week, starting at 4 miles (which nearly killed me) gradually going further and faster.

The hardest part was getting on the scales every day - I had been staying away from them knowing what they’d say. However after a couple of weeks the data was telling me that it was working. This gave me an added boost and I ended up losing 18 kg in about 6 months. I have since done rides of 60+ miles offroad - I would never have even thought I could do that and it was still hard, but it was another milestone.

Now better eating and regular cycling is a way of life - yes, I have put a little of the weight back but I am able to control it as I feel necessary. If it gets a bit too much a quick intervention gets me back down again. The best bit is that I know I can lose weight now and I know I can ride a long way.

When people asked me about my weight loss (and lots of people did) I told them there was no special diet or fad, just eat less and do more. And willpower.

Go at it!

BigMeatball

When people asked me about my weight loss (and lots of people did) I told them there was no special diet or fad, just eat less and do more. And willpower.

Go at it!

Yes, apart from eating less it's also a matter of eating better.

It's shocking how many people have little to no knowledge about food and nutrition. So many base their whole diet on the worst foods.

And I'm not just talking about young kids, there's so many adults out there surviving on beans on toast and sugary cider :laugh:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Well done Brewer and PJS. Losing weight is hard and it seems to get harder the older you get. I need to lose around 20lbs but really have to eat next to nothing to get a decent weight loss (say over a pound) in a week. Low carb seems to work best for me and I have to be on it 100%, no cheat meals or cheat days, no little treats at all. The exercise helps but I reckon weight loss is 90% diet.

Mrs M

Guru
Hello strangers, its been awhile, well nearly three years. Not been cycling, the weights piled on and I'm so unfit compared to what I used to be like.

Start at the beginning, I started a new job as a prison officer and fell out with my cycling buddy ( Brexit :biggrin: ) and I just fell in to a crap routine, I did do a bit of running and swimming, but I'm a big lad and need a routine to exercise, it was meant to be cycling to work, but that never worked out.

So three years on I'm 18st and turn 50 in a couple of weeks, nothing like a milestone birthday to get you thinking about your health ;)

So here's the cunning plan, going to start yoga ( WTF has that got to do with cycling) and the diet, I eat tooooo much cheese. Then over the next month slowly build up my strength and will power. Off to Lanzarote for the 50th so that's when I get back on the bike and increase that slowly. Hopefully be up to cycle to work, 9 hilly miles in March and the weather and light will be getting better.

When I look back and think about the 100 mile rides around the Wirral peninsula and back to Wrexham, or cycle along the NWales coast, I so miss the rides. Hopefully I'll be back to some sort of decent fitness before the weather gets really nice :smile:

Cheers me dears

Sean
Hi Sean
Check out E motion fat bikes in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
Magic fun
Off there next week
Best wishes xx

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes, apart from eating less it's also a matter of eating better.

It's shocking how many people have little to no knowledge about food and nutrition. So many base their whole diet on the worst foods.

And I'm not just talking about young kids, there's so many adults out there surviving on beans on toast and sugary cider :laugh:
I ride my bike so I CAN eat lots of cake and not worry so much.

Top Bottom