I'm back and broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't see a problem. Due to injury I have had several lay offs - coming back is never as hard as being a beginner over again - 2 warnings from me:-

1.)What I always notice when back on bike for first time - is that you lose a degree of road sense - it doesn't take long to come back - but just go easy the first few times you are out.

2.) Don't do too much too soon - you risk injury - which as you get older can set you back longer.

12boy

Guru
I was in a live in rehab for 10 days after breaking my pelvis in 3 places on September 28, 2017. Then I did walk in (crutch in, really) rehab until the end of December, augmenting their exercises at home. The first exercise I did there was 15 minutes on an exercise bike. I had lost a lot of muscle mass while in the live in rehab and found an old Schwinn exercise bike for $40 as well as stretchy bands which slowly brought the muscles back. In January I began riding a real bike, and returned to my 20 hr/wk job of shelving libray books. This entailed squatting, bending and reaching and was more difficult than riding the bike. I got up to 20 mile rides by March. I must admit that I obsessed a little about falling off the bike at first and was extra cautious. By the end of April it was like it never happened, although 2 years later my wife still admonishes me to be careful and to not be a putz. Of course, had I been thirty instead of 68 when I broke my pelvis I probably wouldn't have broken it in the first place and would have healed and regained strength much faster. As far as getting in shape is easier coming back than the first time, I think that is true because you know what to expect and how to get there.

Top Bottom