I'm building a Hybrid/Trail bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you want to follow my progress here's a thread......

The donor bike is a tired looking 2012 Viking Clubmaster that was my first bike after returning to cycling after 30 odd years it must have covered about 4000 miles until my I got my Defy 2 last October.... I meant to use it through winter but.......You know how it is.... anyway here it is
DSC_0013.JPG

The wheels are the originals from the Defy2 after upgrading to Fulcrums. I upgraded as the sealed freewheel got very noisy, after greasing of sorts (you arent meant to be able to get to it but LBS managed it) it was acceptable but I upgraded anyway.... Im going to fit some cheap but treaded 700x28c tyres to them. The Quick release hubs will be a god send getting it in the boot with little-uns bike....(no cycle rack at present)

DSC_0015.JPG

The chain and screw-on freewheel on the viking wheels were very worn and just beginning to slip so I thought instead of using the Viking wheels I ordered a 7 speed cassette (plus spacer) and a new chain for about £17 off Amazon....
DSC_0016.JPG

I've scrounged some bars from @cyberknight and purchased from @dan_bo some combined MTB levers/shifters for a bargain price...

I may need an MTB front derrailer due to slight difference in front mech pull between MTB and road mechs (it can apparently be overcome by re-routing the cable (....?) and a new stem as the scrounged bars seem to a bit narrower than the originals but a mate has offered me a scrap B.S.O which I might be able to whip them off, it may also have a better seat as the seat on it as the Vikings is about kn*****d If not the Defy may get an upgrade and this build get the Giant seat:thumbsup:

End price will be about £60.00 I know I could have bought a cheap MTB for £100 new but at least half my costs will be consumable items which it would have needed anyway if I was going to ride it reguarly again (chain, Cassette in place of screw-on freewheel) and eventually it would have needed tyres..... and It will be a far better bike than a cheapy.... probably equivalent to a £250-300 hybrid and I will be riding a bike I thought was fab when I first bought it and put a smile on my face when I rode it.....

If anybody spots any potential problems that I haven't anticipated let me know.... I intend to use it on family trails/canal towpaths and bad weather commuting....

I'll post more pics of bars, shifters and tyres later and then the build in stages when I get chance to build it (probably going to be next week.......)

OP
OP
simon the viking
Brake/gear levers arrived today will pop some photos on tomorrow.... Then just waiting for the tyres and spacer for cassette (got an email saying out of stock:sad: but should be in this week and posted out:rolleyes: if not I'll use the original back wheel for the initial test runs.

Got some new bearings and changed them in both the Giant wheels so they should be nice and smooth running.

OP
OP
simon the viking
DSC_0017.JPG
And heres the Bars from cyberknight

And now the exciting bit...... The bit that I thought would hold the job up because Treadz were out of stock - a 4.5 mm spacer to fit a 7 speed cassette on 10 speed freewheel (You see I've thought of everything:tongue:) arrived today!!!!

I lied...... it wasn't that exciting was it.....

So the build is coming along nicely!

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
Here it is with the Giant (Brand not size) wheels and 28c Hybrid tyres... There is clearance... but not enough for mudguards.... shame that..... It looks great with the black wheels I must resist the temptation to leave it as a road bike......
DSC_0020.JPG

EDIT: I have got a new chain to go with new cassette but I dropped the wheels in at work so haven't got a chain tool with me.... Don't worry I won't run the new cassette with old chain...

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
I did wonder if the Giant wheels would fit the drop outs, but they were spot on probably because both bikes are realatively recent....

OP
OP
simon the viking
Here it is finished a did cheat a bit and not bother with a front derrailler but the gear changers off @dan_bo work a treat but the bars off @cybernight were too small diameter.... (So I'll be pooping em on here free for collection soon as cyber doesn't want them back..) The bike rode fab ..... I felt more confident with the thicker tyres and straight bars on trails and paths... well worth the effort building it....Little-un really enjoyed our first trip out. Heres a couple of photos

DSC_0039.JPG

And our two bikes together....

DSC_0035.JPG

OP
OP
simon the viking
Looks the part that. Nice one.
Cheers... changed the front derrailler to an MTB one and couldn't get it to work without it rubbing the crank..... so took it off left half the inner and outer cable to the first cable guide. fastened it into place with a cable tie.... so the shifters look right:whistle:.... don't really need the small chain ring, I may sort it in the future when time permits but little-un had got a stopwatch on me to get it road ready!

Top Bottom