1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm buying one

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by amrushton, 10 Aug 2007.

1. amrushton

amrushton New Member

A fixie. A second-hand Pomp. It has 120mm rear stays. i need a rear wheel/hub/sprocket(s), chain. it's coming with a 48 truvativ crank. Suggestions please for a decent wheel build and comfortable sprocket size. i don't really want to go Phil Wood/goldtec route as I'll only be commuting

2. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

Can't you just steal bits off Blonde?
    More seriously, Planet-X were selling off various fixed rear hubs for £15-30. Name your poison: low flange, high flange, flipflop etc. Something like the following:

120mm fixed-free hub, 32 spokes crossed 3x both sides, Mavic MA3 or Open Sport rim, DT Swiss db ss spokes. Won't be the world's lightest but pretty solid. I run a wheel like that with no problem and am 13.5 stone.

Ratios: somewhere around 70"? That would mean around an 18t or even a 19t. You can of course go a little lower and change up as you get stronger.

Oh and if you change sprockets at home, make sure you get a Hozan lockring spanner. Not cheap but it is a big chunk of Japanese steel: no lockring will resist!

3. OP
    OP
    amrushton

amrushton New Member

She steals them from me;)

I figured on a 19. The bike comes with 18 and 20 so might get a double hub with 19 and 20. is the l-ring the same as a Shimano, as I have a Shimano lockring remover.

4. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

The cheeky mare! AFAIK track lockrings have square notches on the outside, rather than a splined inner like a cassette lockring. If your Shimano tool fits the former then you're okay.

Oh and remember that track lockrings are left-hand thread, and that you'll need to tighten it after a few miles riding, as the sprocket tightens onto the hub.

5. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

If you really want it, I've got a 120mm On One double fixed hub you can have for postage. It has no bearings - which will cost you about £7, lockrings or sprockets. And if you decide you decide you want it you'll probably be changing the bearings every few months anyway - which is why I gave up on it and went for a Goldtech.

6. Blonde

Blonde New Member

No he can't and no I don't! ;)

7. OP
    OP
    amrushton

amrushton New Member

thanks for that, but the Goldtech/hubjub and.........Phil Wood route is already opening before me.

8. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Lockring spanner??????

Blunt chisel and hammer, please......

9. Christopher

Christopher Über Member

Girls! Settle down!
    My rear hub is a cartidge bearing 'Harris Cyclery' brand, bought in the US for $35, probably made in the same factory (Far East?) as the On-One brand. No probs so far, although now I've said that it'll probably glow red and explode on the next commute...