i'm buying one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amrushton

A fixie. A second-hand Pomp. It has 120mm rear stays. i need a rear wheel/hub/sprocket(s), chain. it's coming with a 48 truvativ crank. Suggestions please for a decent wheel build and comfortable sprocket size. i don't really want to go Phil Wood/goldtec route as I'll only be commuting

Christopher

Über Member
Can't you just steal bits off Blonde?
More seriously, Planet-X were selling off various fixed rear hubs for £15-30. Name your poison: low flange, high flange, flipflop etc. Something like the following:

120mm fixed-free hub, 32 spokes crossed 3x both sides, Mavic MA3 or Open Sport rim, DT Swiss db ss spokes. Won't be the world's lightest but pretty solid. I run a wheel like that with no problem and am 13.5 stone.

Ratios: somewhere around 70"? That would mean around an 18t or even a 19t. You can of course go a little lower and change up as you get stronger.

Oh and if you change sprockets at home, make sure you get a Hozan lockring spanner. Not cheap but it is a big chunk of Japanese steel: no lockring will resist!

OP
OP
A

amrushton

Frustruck said:
Can't you just steal bits off Blonde?
More seriously, Planet-X were selling off various fixed rear hubs for £15-30. Name your poison: low flange, high flange, flipflop etc. Something like the following:

120mm fixed-free hub, 32 spokes crossed 3x both sides, Mavic MA3 or Open Sport rim, DT Swiss db ss spokes. Won't be the world's lightest but pretty solid. I run a wheel like that with no problem and am 13.5 stone.

Ratios: somewhere around 70"? That would mean around an 18t or even a 19t. You can of course go a little lower and change up as you get stronger.

Oh and if you change sprockets at home, make sure you get a Hozan lockring spanner. Not cheap but it is a big chunk of Japanese steel: no lockring will resist!

She steals them from me;)

I figured on a 19. The bike comes with 18 and 20 so might get a double hub with 19 and 20. is the l-ring the same as a Shimano, as I have a Shimano lockring remover.

Christopher

Über Member
amrushton said:
She steals them from me;)

I figured on a 19. The bike comes with 18 and 20 so might get a double hub with 19 and 20. is the l-ring the same as a Shimano, as I have a Shimano lockring remover.
The cheeky mare! AFAIK track lockrings have square notches on the outside, rather than a splined inner like a cassette lockring. If your Shimano tool fits the former then you're okay.

Oh and remember that track lockrings are left-hand thread, and that you'll need to tighten it after a few miles riding, as the sprocket tightens onto the hub.

MichaelM

Guru
If you really want it, I've got a 120mm On One double fixed hub you can have for postage. It has no bearings - which will cost you about £7, lockrings or sprockets. And if you decide you decide you want it you'll probably be changing the bearings every few months anyway - which is why I gave up on it and went for a Goldtech.

OP
OP
A

amrushton

MichaelM said:
If you really want it, I've got a 120mm On One double fixed hub you can have for postage. It has no bearings - which will cost you about £7, lockrings or sprockets. And if you decide you decide you want it you'll probably be changing the bearings every few months anyway - which is why I gave up on it and went for a Goldtech.

thanks for that, but the Goldtech/hubjub and.........Phil Wood route is already opening before me.

Christopher

Über Member
Girls! Settle down!
My rear hub is a cartidge bearing 'Harris Cyclery' brand, bought in the US for $35, probably made in the same factory (Far East?) as the On-One brand. No probs so far, although now I've said that it'll probably glow red and explode on the next commute...

Top Bottom