I'm considering rehoming my beloved palm trees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you just needed to get rid of them, I suggest Marketplace on Facebook, if you use it, or an advert in the local shop window?
Personally, I think they look good where they are! They're not an unmanageable size, yet.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Yes, leave them where they are, Accy. You’ll be able to enjoy seeing them grow.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We had a palm tree in a pot that grew to about seven or eight foot tall, so they can reach a decent size. You might need to repot in a larger container though. The frost did for ours in the end.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are many different varieties. Some can grow very tall so I can understand the vicars reluctance. These in front of our wall are King Palms which can grow to 30’ or more. The bushy one behind the wall is another type which has a harvest of palm nuts which make a very meaty tasting soup.

I know some from Sardinia - have feasted and drunk under two of them many a time - one of those, though old and tough looking eventually died of some disease - I think there's a disease going around that they are particularly prone to - make sure you keep yours in accy accy - keep them tough.

Peckham Palm Trees - they were still living last time I cycled past on the way to the market.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Haha..... I was expecting something at least 10 foot tall^_^
They would/could be if i planted them! They all start out small,no matter how high they turn out to be!:okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had a palm tree in a pot that grew to about seven or eight foot tall, so they can reach a decent size. You might need to repot in a larger container though. The frost did for ours in the end.

Two larger containers would cost a fair bit. Also,if i eventually moved they'd be so big that transporting them with me would be a problem. They've survived 3 winters out there. The odd leaves/branches have gone brown in the winter,but nothing too serious.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are the roots of palm trees known to damage nearby foundations?

Willows certainly are.

A surveyor once told me no willow should be allowed within 100 metres of a building.

Going back to the palm trees, you could suggest to the vicar you plant them still in their pots, or possibly slightly bigger pots to allow for some growth.

Planting in a pot is known trick for the likes of mint to prevent it 'taking over'.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know some from Sardinia - have feasted and drunk under two of them many a time - one of those, though old and tough looking eventually died of some disease - I think there's a disease going around that they are particularly prone to - make sure you keep yours in accy accy - keep them tough.

Peckham Palm Trees - they were still living last time I cycled past on the way to the market.

View attachment 579486
Peckham?🤔 Looks more like Palma!!:okay:

1616240400948.png

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hhmm, a palm tree is a bit obvious for some guerilla planting. Also those pots look to have some weight.
I have three sweet chestnut saplings grown from chestnuts, in tubs in my back garden which are destined for a motorway embankment, (non motorway side).:ninja:🤫

Top Bottom