I'm cursed by this damn BSO!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not my BSO.

The company I work for sells bikes, some half decent ones and some BSOs, and we had some awful ones in...but it doesn't really have a bike department per se (it used to have, I used to run it but I moved sideways and upwards)

This particular BSO model is awful, and a bloke came in to buy a brand new bike..as he left with his new purchase (I didn't have any part in this sale, as I said, the bike dept isn't really anything to do with me) I said "that will be back"

Sure enough it did come back. The cranks were loose and so was the bottom bracket, and as there was no-one capable, it fell to me to sort this. Nice and simple

2 weeks later it's back again. This fella rides this bike some distance (for a BSO) and he'd been out on a ride into the peaks, and had to walk 15 miles home when the freewheel, made of Wensleydale cheese, exploded.

Not having a workshop at work, I took the wheel home with me to remove/replace the freewheel, and adjust the cones on the rear wheel while I was at it. Sorted?

No! Today the bike came back again. With an injured rider with a fractured arm! The front bearings have somehow ground themselves into dust, inducing a bad wobble and thrown him off, You could challenge people to ride this bronco at a rodeo!

I argued with the store manager and got him to offer a full refund (no "credit note as you've had it 3 months" or other nonsense) as the bike is in my opinion not fit for purpose. Not for daily rides of a decent distance. But he loves the bike, even after all this and wanted it fixed... I can repair it, sure, but how long until something else goes?

So now the whole bike has spent the evening in my home workshop, cones and bearings replaced and all other bearings degreased, re-greased and re-assembled.

Took it for a test ride and bizarrely, although it has that uprighty short stem BSO feel it does actually ride quite nicely...albeit with a Garth-like grip required on the gripshifts. I could actually get why he likes it if he's only had squeaky second hand clunkers. But instantly I could feel the wonky pedal..so, replace the pedals tomorrow back at work and hope its not the cranks that are threaded askew. After regularly using pedals with a bent spindle, if I fit new ones I bet he comes back saying the pedals "feel weird" - as you get used to eccentric pedals over time..

Oh, and I noticed the stem was twisted. Not fitted wrongly - twisted.

I've spent a good 2 hours of my own time this evening, unpaid, fixing this fella's bike because I genuinely feel sorry for him..but I can't work miracles!

But if (when) some other cheese-made part fails and it comes back again, how do I say "look, take the refund, but don't buy another Reflex/Trax/Universal type thing and try to find another £100 for a bike that will actually be up to daily all-weather riding"

Last edited:

Lanzecki

Über Member
You sir are a star.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ha ha. Nice work.

My BSO is lovable. A "full suspension mountain bike", I rode about 40km on smooth tarmac roads before the wheels lost their shape. Ha ha! I'd love to see someone try to take it down a mountain.

Ha ha. Nice work.

My BSO is lovable. A "full suspension mountain bike", I rode about 40km on smooth tarmac roads before the wheels lost their shape. Ha ha! I'd love to see someone try to take it down a mountain.

There's a cracking article out there, bike radar or some such, where they take the '£99 challenge' and each but some POS BSO and chuck them down a mountain. Havent been able to find again since I read it but at least one of the bikes completely bust and the others didnt seem like they'd last.....

I love the story, and your attitude.

However I have a concern

The morality of selling these bikes at such a low standard is questionable.

If you are "unofficially "repairing this bike at home, and in your own time, you are probably acting outside your job role, and the company's indemnity

What would happen if he sued for his injuries..... would the company support you or hang you out to dry with the defence that the repairs were not their responsibility?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having suffered the BSO that fell apart (from toys r us), those problems are all too familiar(wow that was 8 years ago). What you need to do is point out that now he's got the bug it's time for n+1.

NorvernRob

I don't suppose it blew up in the peaks the weekend before last did it? We passed a guy who was pushing a bike towards Sheffield. We tried to help but it was knackered!

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I don't suppose it blew up in the peaks the weekend before last did it? We passed a guy who was pushing a bike towards Sheffield. We tried to help but it was knackered!

No, it was about 5-6 weeks ago, so must be a few crumbling BSOs around at the moment.

Thankfully my work have seen the false economy of the absolute nastiest ones due to the repairs (every single one of the Reflex branded bikes comes back within a couple of weeks for more than just bedding-in issues). Because we do a lot mail order, any warranty issues get expensive with courier costs so its a false economy selling the nastiest things

Top Bottom