I'm designing a Bike Station, got any advice/tips etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I use 'The Bike Kitchen' in Sheffield when I need tools I don't own. This picture from greatgasbeetle might give you an idea of spacing for the stands.

P10905551.jpg

Facilities wise they have a sink, a kettle and a toilet - and possibly a toaster. When you book in you get a box of tools - allen keys, the more usual spanner sizes (8,10,12 I think - maybe more), two screwdrivers, a tub of grease - that kind of stuff. The orange boards you can see on the back have cable cutters, head set spanner, pliers, nylon-faced hammers etc, and then the more rarely used tools (headset removal tools and so on) are in a filing cabinet.

You can buy bits off them - I'm not sure what they actually stock but I know they sell cable inner and outer, which is handy. The floor is nice low maintenance, easy to clean painted concrete.

As a retailer I would suggest you can find most of what you need for display at resaonable prices from Ikea, if you are prepared sometimes to cut things to size of combine them in imaginative ways. My counter, for example, started off as a kitchen 'island' unit, and was about 1/4 the cost of a counter from a shopfitters.

Top Bottom