I'm getting an Airzound !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I've personally never been in a situation that's warranted use of an Airzound that my voice couldn't deal with.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I use both, depending. There are quite often situations where a voice is OK, but an AirZound is a powerful message. Best of all, you don't come across as shouty, but simply as another vehicle. Toots are much less confrontational than a shouted "OOOIII".

Hackers, with a 2l coke bottle air reservoir, I don't find myself having to replenish it very often. Might not really be a good solution for your bike though. :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Maz said:
We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I've personally never been in a situation that's warranted use of an Airzound that my voice couldn't deal with.

Some of us may well be less than perfect but I HAVE been in the situation where a good solid blast made the difference between a blind motorist pulling out in front of me and not.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In fairness to Maz I've managed to stop drivers before with a shout in this sort of situation. I do agree an AirZound is better though, since drivers have an almost instant and well trained reaction to another vehicle giving them the horn. Oooh errrr!

The disadvantages of AirZounds are the mounting palaver, and the ease of operation, none of which are a problem on the 'bent, but mean that I don't have one on my fixed wheel.

Mr Pig

buddha said:
walking boots, sticks, oiled jackets etc. - even though this is paved Greater London!

I know, great aren't they? :0) I see them too, maps around their necks to follow a canal! The ones on bikes are just as bad though, I'm going five-miles I better take two panniers and a back pack! What do they carry, a spare bike?

jonesy

Guru
buddha said:
Today I tool the scenic route. Along wide, shared cycle path.
Approaching ahead were a group of walkers/coffin-dodgers cyclists/ lycra-louts (W.I. CTC members I guess - walking boots and sticks, oiled beards, helmets, reflective jackets etc. - even though this is paved well lit Greater London!)
....:

Racist comments are clearly inexcusable; however you might also consider how it wise it is to make piss-taking stereotypes yourself ...

Tynan

Veteran
you are supposed to have and use a bell on shared use paths as i recall, code of conduct on the Lea Valley routes anyway

and the racist comment sounds unlikely from what you say, quite sure you didn't mishear?

airzound on walkers minding their own business on a shared use paths is out of order

Mr Pig

Tynan said:
you are supposed to have and use a bell on shared use paths as I recall

Have you tried it? They often don't hear it until it's too late. Maybe some of our less young fellow humans are a bit deaf?

Sorry, I shouldn't be stereotyping fellow less young humans are as less aurally capable. Slap on trotter ;0)

jonesy

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Have you tried it? They often don't hear it until it's too late. Maybe some of our less young fellow humans are a bit deaf?

Sorry, I shouldn't be stereotyping fellow less young humans are as less aurally capable. Slap on trotter ;0)

So using an Air Zound to startle pedestrians out of your way is OK if they are a bit old and deaf? FFS. ;)

Trillian

buddha said:
one gnarls "Ding a ling a ling. Where's your bell?".

right, i'm off to bolt a bell to my seat tube so that I can point to where my bell is when asked

that or i'll just end up saying its on the other bike!

Ramblers (the scourge of the countryside), if indeed this is what they were, are deaf to all except their own prattling, they ignore any attempt to communicate with them, they ignore bells, airzounds, horns or the human voice and then complain that you are there, in towns they block shared routes, in the countryside they block whole roads, they believe the "right to roam" is only valid to ramblers and that no one else should enjoy that right.

The best way to deal with them is an AK47.

Top Bottom