I'm giving up on the roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Repeating a ride I've done hundreds of times.

I've never been so close to my own death before.

I understand your feelings (I have a phobia of cattle grids after an accident on one, could ride them fine before, have to walk now, unless I'm on the trike), but look at the bits I've selected from your post.

How many times have you done this ride and not had a near miss?

The stats are on your side. Avoid that stretch for a while, if it brings back bad memories, but don't give up entirely, Don't give the self-gratification artists the satisfaction.

If we all gave up when we encountered a nutter, none of us would leave the house to do anything. Actually, the majority of folk aren't nutters, and most of them aren't even 'just careless'.

Slightly off topic, but with regard to overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. We were driving behind a cyclist yesterday, up a hill, he was doing pretty well but labouring in the heat (road bike, lycra kit etc). At the top, he waved us to pass, but there was a car coming in the other direction. We're both cyclists and careful drivers, so we hung back until we could give him decent room. Many would have pushed through, and had to skim far too close. The annoying thing was the irritated look the cyclist gave us as we did pass, as if to say "I told you to go through!" So there's lack of sense in all quarters.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago as I was descending the A6033 into Hebden Bridge, except that the driver decided to overtake 10 vehicles towards me, and because it was winter, the edge of the road was covered with snow and ice. All the other drivers sounded their horns to warn me and the overtaking driver. I was emergency braking, but he just floored the throttle and aimed straight at me. I took a chance at the last possible moment and dived left into the snow. My bike snaked about and I shot back into the road just after the car passed. It was as close as it was possible to be without the car actually hitting me.

So ... I understand exactly how you feel. I didn't ride for a couple of weeks after that, but eventually I decided that to stay off the roads was to let the bastard win.

If they don't get you on your bike, they might get you in your car, or when you are walking. A woman in Hebden Bridge was horribly injured when an idiot van driver looked down to change a cassette, mounted the pavement, and pinned her against a wall.

It's understandable that you might not want to ride the road any more but you can't guarantee that you will be safe off it. I'd be more inclined to avoid certain roads at certain times, ride as safely as you can and trust the statistics - you'd be unlucky to be one of the few cyclists that get badly hurt or killed in a given area every year.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
They are a bunch of morons that don't know the value of life, unless of course it is theirs or one of the family. You are right in doing what you think is best for you.

stevetailor125

I can fully understand what you are saying, I stayed off a bike for 24 years after a bad accident, I have a young daughter now but still ride. I have also had a bad car crash when a lady drove straight through a red light side impacting the car, I can still see her face coming towards me and the look on her young sons face when her car came to rest buried in the side of my front wing. I still drive but I must admit I don't enjoy driving at all anymore, always looking out for what other drivers are going to do, so have every sympathy with you

I've had a few similar but touch wood I've spotted them before it was an issue, although I have had them giving me a dirty look like I was supposed to instantly stop at 30mph and giveway :rolleyes: The worse I've had for a car pulling out on me was when some speeding idiot decided to overtake a L driver that was slowing down in a village. I felt sorry for the kid in the car (the L driver) his face was in shock he thought he was going to witness a tragedy! I would say however don't let the barstewards grind you down, but if you've made your decision I can understand and Good Luck.

Wardy

I can understand how you feel about the situation, but what I would say is don't let the blighters win! If it's something you really enjoy doing then why should you alter your lifestyle based on isolated incidents? I don't know if you have a car yourself but if you did, what about using a bike rack to get to quieter areas?

jethro10

Über Member
I see your point, we only have one chance at life.

Cars are bigger than bikes and a car hitting a bike will more likely do more harm to you than a car hitting a car.

Trails are nice, and fun, and can be so much more social.

Take a picnic, take friends, take the kids and see the countryside - still great exercise.

Jeff

evilclive

Slightly off topic, but with regard to overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. We were driving behind a cyclist yesterday, up a hill, he was doing pretty well but labouring in the heat (road bike, lycra kit etc). At the top, he waved us to pass, but there was a car coming in the other direction. We're both cyclists and careful drivers, so we hung back until we could give him decent room. Many would have pushed through, and had to skim far too close. The annoying thing was the irritated look the cyclist gave us as we did pass, as if to say "I told you to go through!" So there's lack of sense in all quarters.

Was driving through the local lanes in the dales, came up to a cyclist. Didn't overtake because I couldn't see enough, and given the twistiness, I couldn't overtake for a while, but he tried to wave me past. Eventually the cyclist apparently got pissed off and pulled over.

I'm not sure if he realised that whereas he might have been able to see over the walls, I couldn't. He might have been able to hear cars coming the other way, but I couldn't. And there's no way I'm going past him without being able to see for myself that it's safe.

While I'm ranting about inappropriate giving way, there was the guy flashing the lorry out as I came down the hill in Coniston Cold. The lorry driver ignored the first flash, the guy flashed again. The lorry driver carried on ignoring it - he'd looked and seen me, which is rather more than the guy flashing had. I passed the junction, letting the lorry go, then went and had a word with the car driver, who didn't have the faintest idea that he'd been doing something rather dangerous.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The "please overtake me" thing is annoying from both sides. As the driver you don't know if it's clear and obviously aren't going to take a punt on it; as the cyclist you don't know if a presently-patient driver is going to get bored and attempt a stupid overtake further down the road having refused your offer of a sensible one.

400bhp

Guru
I utterly empathise with your point of view.

My own personal way to deal with this is to think very carefully about where I'm going, what road I'll have to be on and whether I can do all of this in what I consider to be safe circumstances.

Pretty much the same here.:smile:

Was driving through the local lanes in the dales, came up to a cyclist. Didn't overtake because I couldn't see enough, and given the twistiness, I couldn't overtake for a while, but he tried to wave me past. Eventually the cyclist apparently got pissed off and pulled over.

When a car sits behind me for a bit I'm happy to look for the first gap and pull off, its nothing to do with getting p1$$ed off.

Thanks for all the replies.

Fortunately my primary outlet before the injuries was offroad, usually Trans-Pennine Trail. My girlfriend is a new recruit to cycling and we're in the habit of sticking the carriers on the car and going places - so I'll concentrate on that, we'll do what Jeff suggests in his post above.
For the training/evening runs I'll eventually pick some quiet roads to get to the TPT at Manvers. So I'm not hanging up the lycra yet!!

I'll resist the urge to rant about driving standards, other than to say they're abysmal and getting worse. Too many people have realised that they can do what they like with impunity (like the pair of total morons I followed down the Stocksbridge bypass on sunday night that were tailgating and brake testing each other).

Looking on the bright side - I'd promised myself a new carbon fibre road bike if the knees ever healed (an incentive considering I'd been told I may never ride again), looks like I've saved some money! Spend it on an MTB instead!! :-)

As for anyone still riding the roads, I'm one BMW driver that will give you all the space and respect you'll ever want!

Top Bottom