I'm going to be crushed by this lorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Just emailed the Co-op complaints dept. I think that this dept is mainly for shopping complaints, but having read their complaints procedure blurb, it should open up a case file and be passed on to the appropriate dept.

I suppose that after 3 years/15,000 miles of commuting, to have just one experience that I've felt strongly enough to complain about isn't bad going? I'm going to hang off taking the complaint to the Old Bill, and see if I get any 'joy' by going down this avenue first. All I really want (now I've calmed down a bit) is for the offending driver to view the footage, see it from my point of view, and hopefully to never ever do such a move again.

400bhp

Guru
Just emailed the Co-op complaints dept. I think that this dept is mainly for shopping complaints, but having read their complaints procedure blurb, it should open up a case file and be passed on to the appropriate dept.

I suppose that after 3 years/15,000 miles of commuting, to have just one experience that I've felt strongly enough to complain about isn't bad going? I'm going to hang off taking the complaint to the Old Bill, and see if I get any 'joy' by going down this avenue first. All I really want (now I've calmed down a bit) is for the offending driver to view the footage, see it from my point of view, and hopefully to never ever do such a move again.

Very reasoned approach.:thumbsup:

jarlrmai

Veteran
I got nothing back when I emailed these jokers, but they definitely watched it a few times.

Note the oncoming car

campbellab

There were clearly no cars for a good distance. So no he couldnt have easily done that. He didnt exactly loiter in the wrong lane. I see no real issue here. I am sure he was being courteous.

Its not about what seems 'obvious' from the perspective, but doing something completely random like that combined with an unknown or unexpected (someone coming out of drive/ped crossing road etc etc) which makes it so dangerous.

Dangerous drivers don't kill every day (some will get away with it for their whole lives), it normally takes a number of unfortunate circumstances coupled with their actions to have a devastating impact.

Crankarm

Guru
Tricky one isn't it? It'd be interesting to hear from the driver. He might have thought he was doing the cyclist a favour.

Life is like that. You think you are doing some one a good turn and then the next minute you are effectively kicked in the teeth for it. Life really becomes finger lickin' bad when this happens.

campbellab

Life is like that. You think you are doing some one a good turn and then the next minute you are effectively kicked in the teeth for it. Life really becomes finger lickin' bad when this happens.

Agree it sucks in a way, but people are often misguided on what's good and helpful and it needs to be corrected rather than rumbling along in ignorance

Davidsw8

That's what I thought this morning whilst riding to work. As soon as I saw him pulling out to overtake I knew he was going to have to cut me up to get back in,so I slowed to save him from.....well wiping me out I suppose!

But then he did something beyond belief. Just look at this lunatic. I genuinely thought that if I didn't slow down, I'd have been a lorry/kerb sandwich.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGVtW7QWXo&noredirect=1

I'm currently looking into making my first ever official complaint about another driver. If anyone's had any experience in complaining directly to 'Co-op' I'd appreciate some advice.....or adv ice in general. Also thinking of going directly to the Old Bill. Or am I mistaken in just how out of order this piece of driving was? As an LGV driver myself, I'm well and truly flabber-ghasted by this maneuver.

Jaysus!!

What is wrong with people, what's the f'in hurry!?

People need to just calm (slow) down.

Davidsw8

That is seriously freaky.

Saw the first white van overtake and thought 'bit close' and thought that was it, then saw the flat-bed... What da!? That was a bit mental fella.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I like the white car offering the dessert course. I'm still wondering what the blue car that goes past just before the truck makes its entrance thought

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BP, that the main road through Bessacar again?
Just watched the vid again. I'm just thinking about the car that was coming the other direction. OK the wagons pulled in a couple of seconds before they cross, but can you imagine being in that car? WTF! Whys there a wagon on this side of the road!??

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

BP, that the main road through Bessacar again?
Just watched the vid again. I'm just thinking about the car that was coming the other direction. OK the wagons pulled in a couple of seconds before they cross, but can you imagine being in that car? WTF! Whys there a wagon on this side of the road!??

Yup, same road, one island away from the wvm driver t'other month who smacked into the island and bust his tyre whilst giving me plenty of room. Again, maybe a case of the driver thought he was doing me a favour, but to hear/see/feel someone bouncing off the kerb towards you, ain't much of a 'favour' is it?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5sVcMWgL4

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I back you 100% as a fellow LGV Driver. I can't believe some people are trying to give this idiot some slack, I can only assume they have no idea of the complexities and dangers of driving an LGV or are they trolls just trying to raise an argument for confrontational pleasure (IMO).
Just to conclude there is no defence for this driving manoeuvre WHATSOVER.

Yup. Without wanting to sound condescending, the amount of extra care needed when driving an LGV is so much greater due to;
A/ The handling of the vehicle, (particularly when full loaded.)
B/ Stopping distances, (particularly when full loaded.)
I think 'regular' drivers (or at least the ones who're 'giving slack') would be surprised by the differences, through no fault of their own, just by the fact that they haven't had the training/experience.......as I'm also sure that most have changed their views on other cyclists since they became cyclists themselves.
Plus, if only one thing is taken into consideration, that kind of driving at the very least scares the Bejesus out of cyclists.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I received an email response today.

Dear Mr ------------,

Thank you for your recent email.

I do apologise that you have had cause to complain with regard to the driving of a Co-operative Lorry driver. I have passed this onto the Transport Head Office and asked that this be investigated. I have also asked them to contact you direct.

If you need to speak to them in the meantime, you can contact them on 0191 411 2278.

Yours sincerely

Top Bottom