I'm going to interview an 'adventure cyclist', what would you like me to ask him?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm going to be interviewing an adventurous cyclist called Robbie Ferri for VeloBalls. He has quite an interesting story to tell and I thought it would be a good opportunity for new cyclists and experienced cyclists alike to find out what motivates someone to take on such huge challenges.

Robbie has cycled from London to Alpe H'uez, he has cycled through 10 countries in ten days, among many other adventures.

So what would you like me to ask? The questions can cover pretty much anything you like. If you want to find out more about Robbie you can see his website here...

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'd like to know how he affords it? Does he work and save up? Sponsorship? Won the lottery? Thanks!

MikeG

Guru
I don't mean to be negative, but cycling to Alpe d'Hues* is hardly adventure cycling. Every time I go to Africa I meet people who are cycling the length of the continent.....say London to Cape Town, or Cape Town to Cairo. I've never yet met one who wanted anyone else to know about it. Pootling about in Europe is great fun and all that, but hardly "adventure cycling".

*His website lists London to Brighton as his other adventure, and his 10 countries in 10 days was all Europe.

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Actually, the more I think about this, the more it niggles me. Interview the guy when he's actually done something. Otherwise, you are just pandering to a publicity-seeker with no actual achievement. "Adventure cyclist"? Really? I'd say to him: "Come back to me when you've cycled across Egypt, Ethiopia and Eritrea, or the badlands of Northern Kenya by Lake Turkana like the Danish guys I met at Mt Kenya a few years ago". Not a soul on earth knew where they were for months on end. This guy is having a holiday, not an adventure.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Every person's definition of adventure cycling is different. Live and let live.

Q. How does he maintain adequate personal hygiene? (and if the answer is "I shower at my hotel most evenings" then I'm siding with @MikeG.)

hoopdriver

Guru
Ten countries, huh? Didn't the peloton in the Tour de France pass through three countries in a single day last week? Or was it four? Cycling to the Alpe d'Huez is the sort of thing a good many people on this forum would do for a holiday.

I am not buying him as an adventure cyclist. Not unless there is something much, much more to this story than there appears to be.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ten countries, huh? Didn't the peloton in the Tour de France pass through three countries in a single day last week? Or was it four?
So what? Robbie's done five (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, France) in a day.

I can't think of anything more I want to ask Robbie except "what's next?" or "are you going to have a crack at the Transcontinental?" but he's local to KLWNBUG anyway and occasionally pops along, so I've been following his news for a while.

To those pouring scorn on his adventures - so he's mostly been in Europe so far, but everyone starts somewhere and he did a lot in his first year or so - for example, I think some of the people above are missing that his ride to the Alpe was in deep winter, not the summer holiday most of us would make of it!

hoopdriver

Guru
Er...if you put yourself in the right corner of Europe it would be hard not to do those five countries in a day....

I am not pouring scorn on the guy, just making the point that to anyone who has done much touring at all his treks are really not all that remarkable. Fun for the guy involved, sure, and good for him for getting out there, but not exactly Cape to Cairo, or tackling the Takla Makan desert or even the Oodnadatta Track...

And no, I did not miss the fact that his ride to the Alpe d'Huez was in winter. I just wasn't moved by it. I cycle year round myself

Last edited:
Top Bottom