I'm gonna be a star...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Neat!

I'm very aware that both Radio and TV will prompt the usual "all cyclists RLJ etc" reactions, so I feel it's important to come across as a reasonable normal person, not an eco-warrior-nutter. If anyone has any hints on how to make myself appear like a reasonable normal person, I'd be grateful...:sad:

Just the facts that you are a keen cyclist who rides around with a video camera strapped to her head and spends the rest of her time posting on a cycling related internet chatroom should be enough imo.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
If anyone has any hints on how to make myself appear like a reasonable normal person, I'd be grateful...:sad:

Show them that photo of you that's on the Tea? thread. With you and that tiger in matching helmets. That should do the trick.:sad:
Then casually mention that you're spending 2 hours on a train to go cycling with two blokes you 'met on the internet'. No, you've never seen them. And then one of them is driving you off 'to look at a baby elephant'.:smile:
One of the 'special' CycleChat jerseys please, with the sleeves that do up at the back. Ta very much.:angry::evil:

yenrod

Arch said:
Well, ok, maybe star is bit strong. I'm going on Radio York's Breakfast Show, live on Monday morning to talk about my helmet cam.:ohmy:

Just did a few prelim comments over the phone for them. I've managed so far, and intend to stay, measured and positive (Ihope!) - not so much "I've got a camera to nail you bastards" as "Mostly, actually York drivers are pretty good, but it's a jolly good educational tool, to perhaps help people understand what it's like to be cut up...". Plus of course, I've got a camera to nail you bastards...:biggrin:

Plus of course, there's the whole fun film making aspect too.

Any advice? Comments? I can't promise of course, to remember in the heat of the moment to bear any of them in mind! And if anything remotely exciting happens, like we hear we're getting a Primark, I might get bumped anyway....:biggrin:

Can I have your autograph :biggrin: or are you TOO famous... :biggrin:

Brill! I'm at the in-laws (Lancashire) at the moment, so my internet access (and time is limited) but I am pleased your getting your shot at stardom Arch!

If someone could record it and post online afterwards that would be great. I assume Patrick will be making (several) copies! ;)

It would seem that the Scottish media are not particularly interested! :blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, that's Radio York done and dusted.

I'm not sure if it's possible to "listen again" to the show - it was Reynolds and Co breakfast show, and there is a 'listen again ' button here. These Uni computers don't have the right software, so I can't tell if it's possible...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/local_radio/

And what did the presenter ask?

1) How long have you had the camera, tell us about it...
2) So, what about all these cyclists I see jumping red lights...etc etc...:biggrin: I restrained myself from strangling him with his own headphones, and made it quite clear (politely) that I despise such people, and am not one myself.

Then he asked what most common problem was, so I said close overtaking, and quoted Highway Code on correct space to leave (and why, eg avoiding manholes, gusts of wind etc) Then he had a word with guy from ActionCameras, who plugged sports use, and also use by M/cyclists, other drivers etc. and finally DJ asked me if I thought compulsory training was answer for wayward cyclists :biggrin: I stopped short of compulsory, but said there could be better training and awareness, and he said 'and what about for drivers', and I said yes, they should have to ride a bike and a motorbike too, to find out what it's like, and that was it.

He came out afterwards and said I did very well (I bet they say that to everyone), and his producer also said I was very cool - not put off by her walking into studio part way through. While I was there I heard the snippet they recorded over the phone on Friday to put in the news bulletin, and I sounded much better than I expected.

And then on the way out of the carpark, I just failed to catch a van driver on camera on mobile phone, didn't turn my head quite enough...:wacko:

Look North have confirmed for 12.30, so I have a couple of hours to get really nervous.

I knew redlights etc would come up. In fact, if I'd had a chance to tell them what I wanted to say, I think I would have mentioned it myself, in order to make the point that we are not all the same. I did say that if I ever catch up with an rljer, I have a word myself...

Arch, was it this morning? If so, do you know what time in the show you were on? It's a 2 hour 30 mins show!:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Arch, was it this morning? If so, do you know what time in the show you were on? It's a 2 hour 30 mins show!:biggrin:

I was on at about 8.15/8.20, I think. Just after 8am news and sport. But surely, 2.5 hours of Radio York is everyone's favourite listen....:biggrin:

Anyone know how to record it? I can't do it on these Uni computers...

Canrider

Guru
I don't think there's any way to record streaming audio I'm afraid, except to play it through speakers and record it using a separate device.

Edit: Really good interview, IMHO. (It is at 8:15, so 1:45 into the programme) I think you made the point about RLJ and pavement cycling and not tarring everyone with the same brush very well.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Canrider said:
I don't think there's any way to record streaming audio I'm afraid, except to play it through speakers and record it using a separate device.

Edit: Really good interview, IMHO. (It is at 8:15, so 1:45 into the programme) I think you made the point about RLJ and pavement cycling and not tarring everyone with the same brush very well.

Thanks for the timing info Canrider...I couldn't have listened to more than 10 mins of radio York withoout wanting to beat my laptop sensless with a base-ball bat.
BUT
Arch...what can I say, you were Brilliant, cool and composed, succinct and to the point. Very well done! You also have a good natural "Radio Voice" with good clarity, rhythmn and intonation.
Good stuff.:tongue:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
Well, I missed the beginning of the interview, but I've got most of it up as a flash video if you don't want to bother with the bbc realplayer.

Excellent, cheers Tim. If you or anyone could email me that as a file, I'd be grateful....

And thanks for the plaudits, people. I'm amazed how good I sound. A voice for radio indeed. And a face for radio, before anyone else says it.:tongue:

Well, just back from 2 hours filming with Look North (For Yorkshire, not Look North for Geordieland). Won't be on tonight, as some big courtcase has just finished, but probably tomorrow. Anyway, she's going to make me a DVD of it. It was loads of fun - the cameraman had some amusing/arty ideas, so I'll look forward to seeing what they make of it. God knows how many miles I covered, back and forth across the Millennium Bridge, along the riverside, along Bishopthorpe Road. And to end on, she said "can you follow the car, and the cameraman will film out of the back window..." Well, I kept up to about 20mph and then became a rapidly receeding puce faced blob....:biggrin: Hopefully some of my footage will be cut in too...

I really enjoyed it. :biggrin:

Top Bottom