I'm gonna build a wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Yes, nothing on the scale of Mr Trumps. Just a 750mm high brick wall with a pier each end at the front of my house. Anyone had experience of building over tree roots? I don't want to damage the roots, so I was thinking of a concrete pier each side of the root and span a lintel across as part of the foundation. Something similar to this which I found on the web. Thanks in advance!...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How many roots - these have a tendancy to grow and may disturb your wall after few years. Any option of cutting them out ?

OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
How many roots - these have a tendancy to grow and may disturb your wall after few years. Any option of cutting them out ?

There's one root that seems to be the problem, it's cracked the original wall, hence the new one. I definitely don't want to cut any roots out, it not my tree. I think I'd be in trouble with the council if I did.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There's one root that seems to be the problem, it's cracked the original wall, hence the new one. I definitely don't want to cut any roots out, it not my tree. I think I'd be in trouble with the council if I did.
Stop the footings either side of the roots (allow for future root expansion) and then bridge over the gap with a lovely sensuous arch, comme ca....

...O

oh la la

Reactions: GM
OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
Will you be ok with people sitting on it ?

Haven't thought of that, might have to put some railings on it! :okay:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Haven't thought of that, might have to put some railings on it! :okay:
Watch out for Tulisa cycling by and deciding to stop and stare through the railings.......(not that you or I have ever done that to her)

• Laugh
Having never laid a brick in my life, (yes I know that's clearly obvious), I built this wall around 14 years ago, and it's still standing, and more importantly retaining what it needs to retain, so I say go for it.

I didn't have any roots to contend with though.

I actually bought a BRICKY to use, but because I didn't have a cavity in it I couldn't use it as it couldn't lie flat on top of the brick course, if that makes sense. So apart from setting a string level at the first course I ended up doing it all by eye.

Will it win any prizes? Nope. Do I care a jot? Absolutely nope :okay:

Top Bottom