I'm gonna build a wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
I've never tried an arch, but I think with some simple timber formwork, it's pretty simple.:okay:

Yes, I wouldn't mind having a go at that. I'm not a brick layer, but I do enjoy brick laying I find it rewarding!

Watch out for Tulisa cycling by and deciding to stop and stare through the railings.......(not that you or I have ever done that to her)

Ha Ha, haven't been up that way for a while, you've given me an idea of where to go tomorrow :bicycle: :smile:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Ha Ha, haven't been up that way for a while, you've given me an idea of where to go tomorrow :bicycle: :smile:
Enjoy the ride :okay:

Reactions: GM

Levo-Lon

Guru
As said up thread, small lintle over the root if you cant or wont chop it.
If the tree is fully matured it shouldn't cause any more trouble...unless a gale force wind lifts it;)

Use a engineering brick damp course and a semi engineering brick in the wall as that will resist frost better and be stronger.

Quite expensive building a 9" wall so be prepared for a wow moment..

Last edited:
Reactions: GM
OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
Yes, nothing on the scale of Mr Trumps. Just a 750mm high brick wall with a pier each end at the front of my house. Anyone had experience of building over tree roots? I don't want to damage the roots, so I was thinking of a concrete pier each side of the root and span a lintel across as part of the foundation. Thanks in advance!...

A bit of a late update, here's a before and after photo. I finished the wall back in early July, I was hoping that the council would repair the pavement before I took the photo, but no just a shoddy repair with tarmac.
Not to bad for an old chippy if I say so myself! ...

Top Bottom