Im looking 1980 Carlton Pro am 12 bits for a resto project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Taylor

Ive just inherited a 1980 Carlton Pro am 12 which is a bit tatty but a lovely bike to ride & I though i might try to restore her to her former glory. Im trying to find out the type of apex pump / inflator that these bikes came with as this bike is missing this item. If anyone could tell me the right pump or where to get it, i'd really appreciate it. I think it was an alloy but dont know much more than that. Also what are the right pedal fittings, ive got chrome 'christophe' but they look a bit too new?
pro-am-12.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I have a Pro Am in my workshop which has been sitting there for 4 or more years now, so far unfinished. Cant help you with the pump but if you need any other info I may be able to help. Just one thing though on your new build - loose that saddle!!:laugh:

wisdom

Guru
I seem to think they had bleumel pumps (spelling may be wrong)They were all alloy and had some red white and blue plastic rings on them.They were very popular in the 70's and 80's All the bike shops stocked them and all my "Racers" as they were called had them.

TomUK

Bluemels%20pump
I have a Carlton Pro Am, which I bought new around 1985/86. Everything's original except for tyres. Still have the original pump. Bluemels polished alloy case with black plastic section at bottom end, incorporating direct push-on connection to valve (no separate connector required). No coloured rings on handle - just three grooves around it. Still has original saddle - was black suede, but has faded to dark brown. Bike still in regular use (when it's sunny - so not too often!). Pump was clipped under cross bar held by adjustable chrome cup. Took it off and carried pump inside rolled up cape fastened to back of saddle as was the fashion. Clip now gone missing. It looks as though you still have this clip just below the saddle on the seat tube.
The pedals are 'Atom 600' with silver alloy spindles and black surrounds. See pic. of some I saw on e-bay for example. The toeclips and straps are by Christophe.
Carlton  + pump.jpg
Buemels pump 3.jpg
Atom pedals.jpg

OP
OP
Nick Taylor

Nick Taylor

Bluemels%20pump
I have a Carlton Pro Am, which I bought new around 1985/86. Everything's original except for tyres. Still have the original pump. Bluemels polished alloy case with black plastic section at bottom end, incorporating direct push-on connection to valve (no separate connector required). No coloured rings on handle - just three grooves around it. Still has original saddle - was black suede, but has faded to dark brown. Bike still in regular use (when it's sunny - so not too often!). Pump was clipped under cross bar held by adjustable chrome cup. Took it off and carried pump inside rolled up cape fastened to back of saddle as was the fashion. Clip now gone missing. It looks as though you still have this clip just below the saddle on the seat tube.
The pedals are 'Atom 600' with silver alloy spindles and black surrounds. See pic. of some I saw on e-bay for example. The toeclips and straps are by Christophe.
View attachment 10874 View attachment 10873 View attachment 10875
Many thanks Tom, thats exactly the information I was looking for, your a star! I'll try to get my bike looking as good as yours.

OP
OP
Nick Taylor

Nick Taylor

I have a Pro Am in my workshop which has been sitting there for 4 or more years now, so far unfinished. Cant help you with the pump but if you need any other info I may be able to help. Just one thing though on your new build - loose that saddle!!:laugh:
I promise i'll lose the saddle, many thanks..............

Spokesmann

I promise i'll lose the saddle, many thanks..............
A vile creation!

daytonatwin

Nice looking cottage covered door entrance. Just right for taking photo's of classic vintage ENGLISH bicycles
You should hire the pathway out for such nostalgic pics.

Icepick

Do you, does anybody, have gear shifters for a Proam 12? My PA12 is intact and in good order but some nasty person stole the gear shifters. Alternatively, are there others that work equally well in the place of the originals?

Spokesmann

Do you, does anybody, have gear shifters for a Proam 12? My PA12 is intact and in good order but some nasty person stole the gear shifters. Alternatively, are there others that work equally well in the place of the originals?
The Pro Am used Sun Tour shifters, with a sort of ratchet system on them. Quite well made.

Ive just inherited a 1980 Carlton Pro am 12 which is a bit tatty but a lovely bike to ride & I though i might try to restore her to her former glory. Im trying to find out the type of apex pump / inflator that these bikes came with as this bike is missing this item. If anyone could tell me the right pump or where to get it, i'd really appreciate it. I think it was an alloy but dont know much more than that. Also what are the right pedal fittings, ive got chrome 'christophe' but they look a bit too new?
pro-am-12.jpg

There is a Carlton in my Mums garage but unsure of model. Not sure if that chain set looks right. The pump was Blumels. There's also a Harry Quinn. She offered them to someone but if they don't collect I'll maybe put them on here.

Does anyone know where I can find those clips you hold brake cables on top tube. They're chrome. I'm thinking of tidying up old road bike and mine look scruffy. The road bike is a Soensport but was resprayed sadly so no decals. I do know history though.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Pro Am used Sun Tour shifters, with a sort of ratchet system on them. Quite well made.

I think I may have some of those ratcheting SunTour shifters in the box of bits if you are interested. Not much use to me as the Carlton ProAm I bought off ebay became (after powder coating) the basis of my fixed.

Top Bottom