I'm looking for a big mouse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A lot of mice don't like rechargeables, they prefer to be using the higher voltage from alkalines. The M171s expect to get a year from a single AA.
Which wouldn't make my teeth gnash, except for this...

Battery update...

I am WELL peed off!!! I went to use 2 of those bloody Duracells in my wireless mouse yesterday and they were dead. I tried 2 more - dead. In fact, all of the bloody things are dead. Their use-by date is 2028 and I had never used the 6 that I hadn't used on this ride, and the 2 that I did use were only used to get me home! :cursing:
£8 wasted on those batteries...

The mouse worked perfectly for 2-3 days on the rechargeables, but then failed. That kind of supports the don't-use-rechargeables approach. The thing is, a suspect NiMH cell has been replaced and both have been fully recharged. The mouse has been playing up immediately this time. The red 'laser' light from its base is at normal brightness so power doesn't seem to be lacking. Something odd is going on...

I have unplugged and replugged the dongle. No joy. I have rebooted the laptop. No joy.

I'm tempted to open the mouse up and see if I can spot anything.

ColinJ

Well, I haven't made any progress with the mouse but I did discover that I was using the same wifi channel as my neighbour. I have changed the channel on my router and web pages seem to be loading about twice as fast now! (Their signal was almost as strong as mine.)

My router was set to choose a channel automatically but for some reason it decided to stay on the conflicting channel so I have forced it into a gap between the strongest 2 neighbouring channels.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
inspired by this thread, I ordered a vertical mouse (a left hand one, which renders my PC useless for right handed folks!)

1608728736959.jpeg

Arrived today and in use... but it's gonna take some getting used to!

Last edited:

ColinJ

inspired by this thread, I ordered a vertical mouse (a left hand one, which renders my PC useless for right handed folks!)

View attachment 564773

Arrived today and in use... but it's gonna take some getting used to!
I just looked up how they work... Makes sense to me - like riding a bike with hands on the hoods, which is my preferred riding position.

A normal mouse is more like riding with hands on the tops of the bars, which is okay but is less comfortable for me after a few hours.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I just looked up how they work... Makes sense to me - like riding a bike with hands on the hoods, which is my preferred riding position.

A normal mouse is more like riding with hands on the tops of the bars, which is okay but is less comfortable for me after a few hours.
it certainly feels more natural in the hand, but doing fine pixel perfect work in photoshop is proving a little tricky... I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks and see how i get on, but i might find myself reverting back to the traditional mouse.

ColinJ

it certainly feels more natural in the hand, but doing fine pixel perfect work in photoshop is proving a little tricky... I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks and see how i get on, but i might find myself reverting back to the traditional mouse.
I can imagine the problem. I had to turn the DPI down on my wireless mouse because I kept overshooting what I was aiming for.

I'm back on my wired mouse for now because an odd 'freezing' problem is back on the Lidl mouse. Maybe it is the lower battery voltage of rechargeables to blame. I suppose I won't know unless I try replacing the NiMH batteries with non-rechargeables though I don't like the wasteful nature of them.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@ColinJ , your tales of mouse suffering break my heart! It just so happens that I have an absolute infestation of damaged, unloved and fully functioning mice on my extraordinarily untidy desk, including the pygmy wireless one, an M185. If you want it, send me a PM with your postal address and it's yours, FOC.

I'm drowning in a sea of discarded electronic hardware.

Drago

Legendary Member
Because it hurts to supinate my wrist for ling I use an Evoluent vertical mouse. Once youre used to it they're jolly good, and much less prone to give you RSI's.

Top Bottom