I'm no longer a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about some canoeing / kayaking ... though it does sort of use your legs a bit.... I've only done it a couple of times myself but really enjoyed it.

And maybe some kind of pilates/yoga sort of class (they usually ask about specific injuries so that they can tailor your stretching). That might build up your strength gentlely.

Or what about a in depth maintenance course?
Good luck anyway

6 months; on the bright side its not forever but I would go mad in that period (ok madder, I'm mad already)

I'm not really best to advise as I don't do much other than cycling but what ever you do, Enjoy and Good Luck!

DavieB

MIA
Just reading your post there about the swimming baths being busy all the time, I thought how much more enjoyable would swimming be if it was not up and down a pool, cycling on an exercise bike, or running on a treadmill are some of the most tedious things Ive ever done I hate it. You still have a couple of months of good weather left i just found this website, dont know how Id feel about swimming in rivers or lakes, but Ive done a fair bit of canoeing when I was in my teens and that inevitably involved ending up in the water. I know there are some rivers up here Id quite happily swim in up towards perth etc (might feel a bit strange though)
http://www.river-swimming.co.uk/
http://www.river-swimming.co.uk/places.htm

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was thinking handcycling... Whereabouts are you? I wonder if you could hire a handbike or trike, either for a 6 month period, or just as and when. There are some local groups (like Cyclemagic in Leicester) who have machines like this for people to try out, or just borrow for a day. It would be a heck of a difference, and would certainly build up your upper body.

Do you have a local bike recycling/refurbishment scheme? Could you volunteer your bike fettling skills as a mechanic for such a scheme?

Whatever, all the best. I'd go nuts.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

What about some canoeing / kayaking ... though it does sort of use your legs a bit.... I've only done it a couple of times myself but really enjoyed it.

And maybe some kind of pilates/yoga sort of class (they usually ask about specific injuries so that they can tailor your stretching). That might build up your strength gentlely.

Or what about a in depth maintenance course?
Good luck anyway

Yoga. Now thats another great idea!!
I can use my legs. I just have to be carefull how much I do and avoid exerting alot of pressure on the joint (aka cycling).

Just reading your post there about the swimming baths being busy all the time, I thought how much more enjoyable would swimming be if it was not up and down a pool, cycling on an exercise bike, or running on a treadmill are some of the most tedious things Ive ever done I hate it. You still have a couple of months of good weather left i just found this website, dont know how Id feel about swimming in rivers or lakes, but Ive done a fair bit of canoeing when I was in my teens and that inevitably involved ending up in the water. I know there are some rivers up here Id quite happily swim in up towards perth etc (might feel a bit strange though)
http://www.river-swimming.co.uk/
http://www.river-swi...o.uk/places.htm
At the moment I have to stop quite frequently because i've somehow managed to get water up my nose, my goggles have filled up or rather worryingly because i've forgot to lift my head out of the water before breathing in. I would love to try river swimming but I don't think i'm a strong enough swimmer.

I was thinking handcycling... Whereabouts are you? I wonder if you could hire a handbike or trike, either for a 6 month period, or just as and when. There are some local groups (like Cyclemagic in Leicester) who have machines like this for people to try out, or just borrow for a day. It would be a heck of a difference, and would certainly build up your upper body.

Do you have a local bike recycling/refurbishment scheme? Could you volunteer your bike fettling skills as a mechanic for such a scheme?

Whatever, all the best. I'd go nuts.
I'm climbing the walls! This is why i've posted here for some sort of inspiration.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yoga. Now thats another great idea!!
I can use my legs. I just have to be carefull how much I do and avoid exerting alot of pressure on the joint (aka cycling).

Yoga is a suprisingly good work-out and can be very calming on the mind too, Mrs 3BM is a yoga teacher and is always extolling the vitues of yoga - it's a cure-all as far as she's concerned.

A good yoga teacher will always ask the class if anyone has injuries and will then let you know when to go easy.

If you're the only bloke you'll get lots of attention too. :wub:

Good luck!

Dunbar

Über Member
After this weekend for the next 6+ months I will longer be a cyclist. My last remaining bike is due to be sold/collected this Saturday. I'm absolutely devistated at being forced to quit riding.

So what the heck do I do now??
What do you do when you're not cycling??

You get unfit and probably put on weight.

Hope you don't 'cos it's Hell to get rid of.

John :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Yoga is a suprisingly good work-out and can be very calming on the mind too, Mrs 3BM is a yoga teacher and is always extolling the vitues of yoga - it's a cure-all as far as she's concerned.

A good yoga teacher will always ask the class if anyone has injuries and will then let you know when to go easy.

If you're the only bloke you'll get lots of attention too. :wub:

Good luck!

I went to the gym last night with the intention of trying out the rowing machine and then going swimming.
The room that contains the tread-mills, rowing machines etc was packed out with ladies. - I kept on walking!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

You get unfit and probably put on weight.

Hope you don't 'cos it's Hell to get rid of.

John :thumbsup:

You're not kidding. In a month I've put on about 15kg and i've gone from a 32" waist trouser to a 36".
Lord knows what I will be like in a few months time.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Thanks for all your help.

I'm off to Hatha Yoga on Thursday (I have absolutely no idea what that is).
Box fit on Weds (Apparently I can do this without running around).
Sailing on Saturday.

Oh i've sent off for details about an online 'computer' course.

Top Bottom