I'm not a cyclist, I'm just riding a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm old enough (just) to remember when most people in England rode utility bikes to work, a couple of the big engineering firms near me (English Electric in Whetstone and Jones & Shipman on Narborough road) had enormous bike sheds in their yards, spaces for a thousand or more bikes, then came the 70s and the cheap car took over. :sad:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm old enough (just) to remember when most people in England rode utility bikes to work, a couple of the big engineering firms near me (English Electric in Whetstone and Jones & Shipman on Narborough road) had enormous bike sheds in their yards, spaces for a thousand or more bikes, then came the 70s and the cheap car took over. :sad:

Same in Loughborough.Brush Herbert Morris and numerous hosiery companies had bike racks.Most companies finished at 5 PM the roads looked like a road race for utility bikes.

Tizme

Veteran
I remember Portsmouth Dockyard at knocking off time (end of the day, not when drivers decided they could make cyclists "get out of the way"), literally hundreds of blokes on bikes.

Top Bottom