I'm not going to judge anyone for this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got it wrong. :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5001935, member: 9609"]it certainly does in a wagon, in fact the big question is if they have been on green for a while and traffic is slow should you just stop before it changes to orange, you need to be clairvoyant or something. You can go through at green at 14mph, it can change to amber then red before your trailer has passed the stop line and thats 3 points.[/QUOTE]

Ha! That reminds me of the sad tale of how I failed my first attempt at my HGV class 2 test about 12 years ago, at Bishopbriggs test centre. Here is the traffic light controlled junction I was approaching, to turn right..........

Screenshot (14).png

It's not the best picture; but on the left there is a row of shops with parking spaces in front of them. To enable access to the parking spaces, there is a yellow box, about 20 metres long, taking you to within 2 car lengths of the stop line at the lights.
As I was approaching the junction, the traffic light was green, but whilst I was passing through the yellow box, it changed to amber, then red; so of course I stopped at the stop line. Unfortunately, due to the length of my vehicle, the back of it was within the area of the yellow box - so the examiner failed me :rolleyes:.
I argued my case with him but he was having none of it, as I "should have anticipated the lights changing and stopped short of the yellow box". Whilst the light was green? Then I would have failed for failing to make reasonable progress! Anyway, another test and another £100+ test fee and I passed.....

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ha! That reminds me of the sad tale of how I failed my first attempt at my HGV class 2 test about 12 years ago, at Bishopbriggs test centre. Here is the traffic light controlled junction I was approaching, to turn right..........

View attachment 379203

It's not the best picture; but on the left there is a row of shops with parking spaces in front of them. To enable access to the parking spaces, there is a yellow box, about 20 metres long, taking you to within 2 car lengths of the stop line at the lights.
As I was approaching the junction, the traffic light was green, but whilst I was passing through the yellow box, it changed to amber, then red; so of course I stopped at the stop line. Unfortunately, due to the length of my vehicle, the back of it was within the area of the yellow box - so the examiner failed me :rolleyes:.
I argued my case with him but he was having none of it, as I "should have anticipated the lights changing and stopped short of the yellow box". Whilst the light was green? Then I would have failed for failing to make reasonable progress! Anyway, another test and another £100+ test fee and I passed.....
How exactly do you anticipate lights changing? Some kind of HGV clairvoyance?

Brandane

Legendary Member
How exactly do you anticipate lights changing? Some kind of HGV clairvoyance?
That was my thoughts at the time. Presumably his line of thought was that I should be experienced enough to know that if a light has been at green for a while, then chances are it is going to change to amber shortly. However different junctions are subject to differently timed phasing depending on volumes of traffic, so quite how I was supposed to anticipate the timing of that particular junction is something I will never know!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That was my thoughts at the time. Presumably his line of thought was that I should be experienced enough to know that if a light has been at green for a while, then chances are it is going to change to amber shortly. However different junctions are subject to differently timed phasing depending on volumes of traffic, so quite how I was supposed to anticipate the timing of that particular junction is something I will never know!
Imagine if you'd stopped short of the yellow grid and then the both of you had sat there watching the green light stay green...and green...and green. "Well I thought it might have been about to change." Er, yeah. Fine, works for me.

Top Bottom