I'm now a full time cycle commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Effyb4

Veteran
I have been cycle commuting twice a week for the last 6 weeks, after deciding to give up my car. This week and for the foreseeable future, my start time is an hour earlier. This means catching the first bus to get there on time. I have found to my cost that this bus is invariably cancelled, so it looks like I shall be a full time cycle commuter from now on. I hope my legs will manage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Whats the distance?

OP
OP
Effyb4

Effyb4

Veteran
6 miles each way, so not too far. I do have heart problems, but I should be able to manage the mileage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one. Take it easy bud. Your body will soon get used to the distance.

Not teaching you to suck eggs....but
You will have to step up your bike maintenance schedule now that you'll be riding 5 days a week. Keep checking those tyres for anything embedded in them. Stones, slivers of glass etc and dig it out. Especially after wet weather riding. Get into the habit of checking and it will save you puncture grief.

And once a week, give the chain the Mickle method treatment. Clean chain with rag, lube & wipe. Again, if wet weather riding, more often.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Good luck with it & hope the old ticker functions well. I'd love to live nearer work so that I could ditch the car, but 16 miles is a touch too far with strong winds & 5am starts or 11pm finishes :sad:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You should be fine with 6 miles each way - take it steady if you need to. It'll be more fun than the bus!

Like Ian says keep on top of the bike maintenance. I do five miles each way, at the weekend I clean the bike, check tyres & clean the chain. Everything seems to work fairly smoothly.

Thanks all. I will definitely keep on top of bike maintenance. I did a bike maintenance course at the weekend, which covered some of the basics.

Youtube was good enough for me to learn how do replace my old bikes drivetrain, bar tape, cables and brake lever.

There is also the sheldon brown website which is very in depth.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have been cycle commuting twice a week for the last 6 weeks, after deciding to give up my car. This week and for the foreseeable future, my start time is an hour earlier. This means catching the first bus to get there on time. I have found to my cost that this bus is invariably cancelled, so it looks like I shall be a full time cycle commuter from now on. I hope my legs will manage.

Welcome to the club. I'm doing six and a half miles each way, its not a bad distance for a commute. With the winter coming on get yourself sorted with some decent lights

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You will get used to it fairly quickly.
My commute is only 5 miles each way, too short to feel like I've been exercising at all.

Top Bottom