I'm sorry I havn't a clue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Humph was great, and it was hard to imagine how he could ever be replaced when he went. But Jack Dee, though different, is just as funny if not more so, I think.

And, yes, Just a Minute can get a little tired (depending on who's playing), and Nicholas Parsons isn't quite as sharp and quick as he once was. How much longer can he go on? And who can ever replace him?

Parsons is an institution. In the last few decades Gyles Brandreth and Paul Merton have held it together.

TVC

Humph was great, and it was hard to imagine how he could ever be replaced when he went. But Jack Dee, though different, is just as funny if not more so, I think.

And, yes, Just a Minute can get a little tired (depending on who's playing), and Nicholas Parsons isn't quite as sharp and quick as he once was. How much longer can he go on? And who can ever replace him?
I saw Nicholas Parsons commenting on Brucie tge other day. He looks quite frail now.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I saw Humph doing his ISIHAC Master of Ceremonies thing, quite late on in his career, it was lovely. He was funnier than Jack Dee, imho, because he successfully gave the impression that he didn't really understand all the double entendres. In fact I saw him twice, because they record two episodes in one go :smile:.

I have a quite irrational hatred of Just a Minute and can't even bear to hear the sig tune, it makes me feel quite ill.

Humph was a legend. The casting has been strong ever since. Jack is a great host. he does the same jokes at the same time. Reliable.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
Just being selfish for a a minute but I want Barry Cryer to live forever

Oh Wow! Are you really Barry Cryer?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
So I glanced through the thread looking for naysayers, and there weren't any. Which is nice.

Only once saw Humph—with his jazz band. They were good, and he played a poignant old-man trumpet solo which brought tears to my eyes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A friend went to a clue recording, Humph still chairman back then. He was by then very old so fluffed his lines a fair bit but he never once fluffed the punch line, so every laugh from the audience was the first take of the punch line. Great stuff.

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of just a minute Merton, Clary and others have managed to just about fill Keneth Williams's shoes pretty well and it does have its moments still. Slightly related I recently saw on DVD one of the last of the "Classic" Doctor Who series "Curse of Fenric". Despite being very much at the fag end of the run it was superb, not least a certain Nicholas Parsons playing a straight role as a kindly vicar troubled by doubts of his faith. Parsons' performance was as good a bit of acting I've seen done by anyone on anything - yes really ! He started as an actor in light comedy, but from this outing at least had the talent to do much more. Sadly Curse of Fenric great though it was was a gem in a series by then on its arse.

Top Bottom