I'm still amazed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
For the past five days I've been away house/doggie sitting, so I took my trike, I was a wee bit worried as I would have to travel on the very busy Bishopstoke Road, it's only a B road, but it is the main route to connect Eastleigh to Bishopstoke and beyond and it is always busy and grid locked in the morning and evening, but I had to try it out.
I worked out a nice 12 mile route some of it would take me along the foot path by the River Itchen and back home via Eastleigh and of course the dreaded Bishopstoke Road.
Well I was amazed all the cars/trucks gave me a very wide berth and even thou I was only doing 14 mph nobody seemed to care.
The following day on another route with more traffic is was the same, in fact they gave me more room than if I was on my bike, I'm now convinced that it is safer to ride a trike and I was worrying for nothing.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Proof ... puddings etc ! :laugh:

Chapeau :bravo: for taking the trike with you wherever you go too ! :thumbsup:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
We could have told you that. :-) People aren't sure what the hell it is, so slow right down and give it a wide berth. Although the widest point isn't much wider than our elbows on a normal bike, visually it looks wide, so adopt a strong secondary and cars almost always completely change lanes to overtake.

Ern1e

Über Member
I agree with @Trikeman on the don't know what it is because when I travel the same route with my trailer on (we don't seem to have many around here) I do seem to get better treatment by drivers, so well done that man lol.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The real problems with trikes is that they are much slower uphill :excl: and drivers get impatient :cursing: as they are wider :excl: and can cut you up as they take a risk trying to pass you .
At least with the e-powered trike :becool: you can still achieve 15 mph up most hills :hyper:
Ain't that the truth, I recently went over to Enderby to see an old mate, never been up Leicester lane as fast before pedalling. :biggrin:

Ganymede

Veteran
Ah, welcome to the dark side, Numbnuts, and also you might have to change your name... if your trike is a 'bent you shouldn't get numb nuts! My semi-'bent is soooooo comfy!
I should add to this - I don't have nuts of my own so I am open to being corrected on this...

Just wondering as I struggle uphills has anyone had experience with power trailers which can attach to a bent or trike[ e assist mono trailer}

Ganymede

Veteran
Just wondering as I struggle uphills has anyone had experience with power trailers which can attach to a bent or trike[ e assist mono trailer}
Is that what @starhawk is talking about upthread?

Want to ask neil - how heavy is your 'bent (if that's yours in your avatar)? I am thinking of getting a lighter one - mine is an older, heavier make and although I love it I am wondering if I can make life easier for myself.

Top Bottom