I'm still amazed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
A set up thing like this: http://www.whike.com/en/ looks like a lot of fun, not that I would expect it to sail up a hill.
Numbnuts and I use sails on our kayaks, even though he made his own, where I just bought one.
Coo, I could see one of those working on Romney Marsh!

Just wondering as I struggle uphills has anyone had experience with power trailers which can attach to a bent or trike[ e assist mono trailer}

We have played with electric bullies , they work , but on a trike they need to be dual wheeled trailers as the sideways forces will either destroy the rear of the trike or the trailer , Ideally two wheel drive with freewheels giving a "differential" effect on turning .rather than using an e-hub on the nearside
Using a jackshaft to drive the two rear wheels a 5 speed freewheel could also be used thus having a true geared motor that could push you and a loaded trailer up hill at 8 mph without much human effort.
After the twisting moment ,the main problem is the coupling between the trike and trailer , The electrical connector being waterproof and durable enough to last several connects and undo's before the cable breaks or the connectors fail , Lithium / lipos batteries work better to keep the weight lower and allow a payload to be carried
Like e-bikes you should consider cut-off brakes and a throttle and a pedelec sensor on the trike all these need to go back to the trailer where the controller is

As for the wind power , Still early days and gusts could be a problem

regards emma.

Did someone mention trailer........:biggrin: :banghead:

trailer (2).jpg

Cars pass this with a wide berth , we use it for model flying as well as camping and shopping . its 41" long 24" wide and 12" high fitted with 22" QR wheelchair wheels to store it easier , non motorized as the e-trike has enough power on its own .
The sides are made from uPVC boarding with a ply base and pink tubular bed iron for the base frame .
:evil:...:hyper:

UK law states that it should have red triangles and a rear light fitted , BUT does not say you need a front light !!!!!

regards emma

We tried the powered trailer concept but settled for a two wheel box trailer on the e-trike as it was " silly " to have fitted all the necessary bits on the trike
and leave the motor and battery at home when the trailer was not in use .

regards

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did someone mention trailer........:biggrin: :banghead:

View attachment 60812

Cars pass this with a wide berth , we use it for model flying as well as camping and shopping . its 41" long 24" wide and 12" high fitted with 22" QR wheelchair wheels to store it easier , non motorized as the e-trike has enough power on its own .
The sides are made from uPVC boarding with a ply base and pink tubular bed iron for the base frame .
:evil:...:hyper:

UK law states that it should have red triangles and a rear light fitted , BUT does not say you need a front light !!!!!

regards emma
That's just given me an idea for what to use for the sides of my trailer (a kiddy trailer I've had for years but the nylon has succumbed to UV) when I rebuild it :biggrin:

That's just given me an idea for what to use for the sides of my trailer (a kiddy trailer I've had for years but the nylon has succumbed to UV) when I rebuild it :biggrin:

Only downside :evil: is that it comes in 5 metre lengths but you can get nice corner sections to cover the edges
I have used it for covering some wooden garage doors ^_^ and it does stand up to UV ( sunshine :sun:)
Seal the parts with silicon or super glue will stick it together and a few dome headed bolts .

Last edited:
Now, if the trailer were only carrying the batteries … lo-o-o-ng rides would be in the offing ! :laugh:

[QUOTE 3361755, member: 9609"]or some sort of energy recovery system that would charge the batteries on the downhill sections. (the use of the brake kicks in the generator)[/QUOTE]

Lifepo4 and lithium / lipos dont like regenerative charging but SLA's will cope but fit solar panels on the top of the trailer and .................

I have 2 identical batteries for the red trike (both 37v 9 ah ) and can carry the spare in the pannier if needed and I get an extended range of 40 miles with little effort , I have just got 3 Lifepo4 batteries all 37v 10ah that I havent decided what to do with them YET...:ohmy:

@Scoosh

40 miles ( BUT many more smiles ) using pedelec mode on level 3 ( out of 5 levels ) increasing the mode to 5 gives you unassisted range of 10 miles at 16.5 mph :angel: ( 15mph + 10% allowed error )
Now with 2 extra Lifepo4 in the trailer ( total weight of 2 batteries 8kg ) that would give OVER 80 miles of smiles

BUT ..........( why is there always a but ) :cursing:

Recharging them would take 4 chargers and 6 hours or 2 chargers ( lifepo4 and lithium batteries have a different charge voltage for 36v ) about 12 hours :angry:

regards emma

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@voyager - nice for longish day touring, charge up at (non-wild) campsite ... what's not to like ... might even have room for a credit card/tent in the trailer ! :laugh:

Top Bottom