I'm taking a newbie to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Mr Weenie has become jealous of my love for my bicycle and wants to come cycling with me in France.

He's confident but hasn't cycled in some years (he used to cycle EVERYWHERE). He's planning on using my old bike locally before go in July but the initial ride to our destination would be 70 miles from the ferry port.

We'll have my parents in a car (with a bike rack) a phonecall away if we come unstuck but he's determined to do it.

I've done distance a few times and cycle everyday. Anyone got any tips on how I can help him without appearing to?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm not sure you can. Boys don't like help, do they. Maybe just encourage him to come out on a couple of 50 milers beforehand so he's training without knowing about it. If he's done a couple of 50s, he'll be fine, if you give him enough ice cream.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I've tried but he reckons he hasn't got time.

I've gone for an overnight ferry option that means we have a whole day to do the distance and can eke it out but will that be enough.....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Encourage him to get a few miles under his belt again before you go - if he can happily do 30 or 40, then 70 isn't so bad.

On a long leg, just keeping chatting is good (assuming he has the breath, if not, you chat and he listens). Good company eats up the miles.

I guess also, make sure he drinks and eats enough, a little and often I think. In France there will be plenty of opportunity for cafe, glace, etc....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wheeledweenie said:
I've tried but he reckons he hasn't got time.

I've gone for an overnight ferry option that means we have a whole day to do the distance and can eke it out but will that be enough.....

All day, in July, that could be say 8am to 7pm. 10 or 11 hours anyway. say 10. 7mph average. He'll do it, with enough encouragement, mingled with macho determination.

He might hurt a bit afterwards, but that'll be his fault for over-confidence....;)

Possibly one of the things you can do is keep his speed down at the start, make sure he paces himself.

jags

Guru
let him at it if he want's to show who wares the trousers you can pat him on the head at the end of the day and tuck him gently into his cot for a good night's sleep.

Top Bottom