I'm thinking of becoming a teacher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Bond said:
So I'm thinking of becoming a teacher but the problem is I want to teach Science and I have just completed my BA in History. Does anybody know what I have to do to become a science teacher? I hope I don't have to go and do a science degree and then a PGCE.
Hi

I would suggest you register your interest with TDA:
https://www.tda.gov.uk/recruit/readytoapply/register.aspx?ilewa=10000427

You can then enrol on a Teacher Taster courses run at school/colleges in your locality (I did this). You'll be given the opportunity to talk to teachers and observe lessons in your chosen subject(s). They'll be able to explain the alternative routes into teaching. A PGCE is not the only route into teaching.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
According to this TWIT (Tory Wonderboy In Training)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2010/may/17/nick-gibb-upsets-teachers

... it only matters what university you went to.

battered

Guru
I applied to Leeds for PGCE last year. They were happy with my Biochem degree for Biology or Chemistry but wouldn't have let me in for Physics.

I now hear that following the rise in une,ployment the teacher training courses are full and they have no problem filling the projected need for science teachers.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as a governor and listening closely to the financial forecasts I'd be very cautious about entering teaching right now unless it is an absolute passion and vocation that you can't resist, the finance cuts are going to be big and vicious.

you could find yourself with little job security, if you can get a position in an industry that will be laying off people in droves before long, working for a corporate academy sponsor or religious group or a gang of parents with their own ideas how their 'free' school should teach things expected to work longer hours with bigger classes and less support staff just to get by.

battered

Guru
Possible trouble ahead in teaching and other public sector positions? Maybe, but temper your concerns with the fact that job losses and declining working standards are already a fact of life in the private sector. Private sector employers don't need to ask anyone's permission to start offering less to new employees. they just get on with it and have been doing so for the best part of 2 years now.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
battered said:
Possible trouble ahead in teaching and other public sector positions? Maybe, but temper your concerns with the fact that job losses and declining working standards are already a fact of life in the private sector. Private sector employers don't need to ask anyone's permission to start offering less to new employees. they just get on with it and have been doing so for the best part of 2 years now.

yes I know, how is this little ditty relevant in any way to the OP?

I'm responding to the topic & pointing out the very likely future realities for the position he's expressed an interest in, based on he fact that we're already considering redundncies of existing staff and aren't going to the NQT fairs because we haven't got the money.

If he'd suggested a position in athe bank where my best pal got made redundant from or my Bro's quantity surveyors where they had the 5% pay cut 18months ago, my post would have been in similar vein.

battered

Guru
"little ditty?"

Would you like to explain why you are adopting such a patronising tone?

The OP in his own words "is thinking of becoming a teacher". You have pointed out that it's highly likely that the profession faces considerable changes, which I don't doubt.

Nevertheless, none of us live in a vacuum, including the OP, so pointing out that changes for the worst are hardly the unique preserve of teachers is entirely relevant to the OP as he's engaged in his "is thinking of" reflections.

Regards.

Top Bottom